cavgirl

Considering offer on Victorian terraces- advice needed!

cavgirl
6 years ago
Sorry if this is the wrong place!

I’ve just sold my house and I’ve got my eye on two Victorian mid-terraces.

One is perfect in terms of layout, size and features but definitely has a damp problem. It also has the original windows, including the glass. Cosmetically it’s fine, it’s just about making it dry, warm and safe and the buyer has apparently already said he intends to do that.

The other has been refurbished, but the living proportions are not as good. It has oil, so I’d need to budget for installing gas (the first property already has gas). It’s been replastered, made damp proof and had double glazing put in. Of course I’m wondering whether all that ‘modernising’ might not in itself cause issues down the line! However, it’s not rendered at all whereas the first property is AND there’s cracks in it. This property is also more expensive- I’d only get it with a cheeky offer, whereas I could give the asking price for the first.

My heart pulls me towards the first. My head pulls me towards the second. I’m going back to both on Friday to draw up snag lists.

I was wondering: for those of you in similar properties, what do you wish you’d known before you bought it, especially if you moved from something modern? (80s on)

If you were to offer on your property again, are there conditions you wished you’d attached before agreeing re: condition, certificates, damp guarantees etc...

Assuming good starting condition, what are the ongoing maintenance costs versus an 80s style build? My current house is an 80s ex Council end terrace, btw.

Any and all guidance gratefully received. I’ve dreamed about a period property all my life, but I don’t want to take on an albatross, especially when it’s just me! Both the houses above are three storey, btw. Idea is to use top level as glorified attic in short term and possibly rent out later if need be.

Comments (5)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.