sophie_mackenzie

Help with layout/remodel!

C Mack
6 years ago
Hi all,
We move into a new house soon and I need some inspiration regarding layout and what work to prioritise first.
As per the ground floor plan below, the kitchen is very strange - essentially the utility is bigger than the kitchen, there is no door between the rooms (just a narrow archway) and the cooking space is cramped. We bought the house for its potential eg. To use most of the garage and knock through and create an open plan kitchen/dining room.
I originally planned to convert the garage and move the kitchen into that space adding a roof lantern to the flat roof to create the wow factor.
I now feel that (due cost) we are better leaving the kitchen and utility where it is and putting a lounge in the converted garage, with double doors into the kitchen area.
I just can't work out how to make the kitchen work better - eg. Knock down wall into lounge and add an island/breakfast bar making it open plan?
My husband wants to create a hallway which I agree with although without having knocked through to the garage this would make the lounge area v narrow.
The dining room labelled on the floor plan will be the snug/TV/play room so we would happily have the rest of the space open plan.

Other ideas include extending upstairs over the garage (long term) however I am keen to make a difference as soon as poss after we move in, if only with decor etc. I just know the kitchen will drive us mad in its current state! Also there is currently no defined space for a table....

Any ideas gratefully received.

Thanks!

Comments (11)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.