peachey33

Help! Need a kitchen redesign - can we fit a table AND an island?

Sian Peachey
6 years ago
We are in the process of buying a new house, and will be sacrificing the dining room for a play room. The kitchen is fairly big and we want this to be the heart of the home. A place we entertain guests, eat with our young baby, and relax. We have some great ideas but there are lots of limitations (other than our small budget!) including placement of internal doors, windows, external doors, attached utility etc. Only 2 walls from 4 can be used for cabinets.

We would love an island as the space currently in the centre of the kitchen seems vast, but we also need to accommodate dining space. I'd love space for 6-8 people, and at a height that is suitable for a toddler.

Is this possible??! Could we do a complete redesign and make the space work better? Examples I've considered - Create an L shape? Only have wall cabinets halfway down? Wall cabinets along 1 side only?

My father works for a well known high street kitchen retailer so we will be sourcing the kitchen from him at a slight reduction. Whilst he knows what will and won't work when it comes to the details, he's not a designer with regards a complete change to make the space work more effectively.

Comments (11)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.