jennarifkin

Upcycling 1970 built in bedroom furniture into a modern house? How?!

jennarifkin
6 years ago
Hi all,

We have Strachan built in furniture from the 1970's (pic 1). It is fantastic quality but very dated in style and colour for our now renovated extended house - style modern/contemporary.

The dilemma is a few-fold - how to upcycle it but make it look amazing and not out of place in any way. AND what sliding doors to put in front of it/colour of room.

Having this 1970 room (guest room but eventual teenager room once they've grown!) stripped out and the plan is to upcycle this furniture and place behind sliding doors to the one side of the room i.e. Making it a wardrobe / office with desk (pic 2).

Need advise on how best to modernise the furniture AND what colour/kind of sliding doors to have - i'm leaning to white gloss for sliding doors - but is that not just boring and soulless?! All the doors I've seen I think are ugly :( so not a sliding door fan but I need convincing).

A very talented OnePlan suggest stiffkey blue for the furniture which looks great actually but what kind of sliding doors and do I now paint the room that colour too?!

Comment (1)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.