adrianlowery

Painting kitchen cabinets - what paint and tips please?

adrianlowery
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We want to paint our laminate / melamine kitchen cabinets - doors, fascias, sidewalls the lot. You see a lot of conflicting advice out there, so was hoping to get some firm tips.... We are getting someone in to do it, I just want to make sure they do it right, and that we buy the right paint.

1. Do you need to sand this sort of surface for a key if we are going to use Zinsser Bullseye primer?

2. Top coats: Options

a) Use 2 x coats Dulux eggshell that we have left over from painting the wood surfaces elsewhere in the flat, which is matched to F&B Wevet. Thing is, I just cant see it lasting - in places like the newel posts that get touched a lot, you can see signs of wear and smudging after a few months, elsewhere little chips. Just doesn't feel that tough? Could you varnish over? Then that is four coats in total.

b) Use Benjamin Moore Advance Satin or High Gloss. No. of coats?

c) Use a cheaper cupboard / melamine paint from one of the usual UK producers. No. of coats?

We are going for white because the floors will soon be painted a mid / dark-grey, the walls are F&B Ammonite (a v light grey), and the countertops will soon be a light grey from IKEA - or if we can afford it natural wood from same. The tiling as you can see is black.

First two pics are pre-decorating but you can see the cupboards better. Third is what it looks like now but the floor is a disaster in white (wevet) as it gets filthy if you so much as look at it - hence repainting grey.

Comments (10)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.