sonia_rosua_clyne

Wait and do one big renovation, or do small ones ASAP?

Sonia RC
6 years ago

Hi all,

This is my first post on Houzz after discovering it! I'm shortly moving to Manchester and will be buying my Aunt's 1930's semi-detached house. It's a really great opportunity and I'm really excited for it.

The house itself is in a bit of a sorry state and I'm longing to renew it and get it to match my needs. As there is so much t do, I wondered if any of you had any advice as to if it's best to get as much as possible done in one renovation or to do it up bit by bit.

I have a long list of things I want to change and I've been looking for an understanding on what the best order of doing them is. For example, does one do the floor or the kitchen first?

A list of some of the things I would like to do:

-Refloor with engineered wood/lino/Karndean

-Knock down a wall and make it more open plan

-Have the ability to shut off the kitchen with a pocket door if possible or have it be L shaped

-Build in a utility room

-Open up the back with bifold doors and raise the decking upstairs

-There's a conservatory there, but I'd like to extend that out or even make an extension someday

-Rip up the kitchen an start again

Does anyone have a rule f thumb as to what needs to be done first? For instance if we are going to change the positioning of the kitchen, it seems like a no-no to have the flooring in first. But then wouldn't the kitchen need to actually sit on the flooring???

Kind regards,

An obvious newbie

Comments (6)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.