discountflooringdepot

Create a cosy home this autumn with these 3 easy additions

Discount Flooring Depot
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

This time of year is when people start to appreciate the cosy things in life – warm jumpers, hot drinks, comfort food and staying indoors. With that in mind, it makes sense to make your home as cosy as possible, so that you enjoy spending time in it this season. If you would like some tips on how to improve the comfort levels in your house, then check out these tips on how to create a cosy home this autumn with these 3 easy additions that aren’t expensive or take a lot of time to pull together.

1. Lighting in all forms

Let there be light – everywhere! The first easy addition to your home this autumn is to sort out your lighting. There’s nothing relaxing about overhead spotlights and while they can be useful and have a time and a place, they are never used when you’re trying to create a cosy atmosphere. Instead, look to create soft warm glows using every means at your disposal.

• A glowing fire (real or fake) can transform a dreary living room into a cosy haven you can retreat to with a book or to wrap yourself up on the sofa to watch a movie.
  • Candles everywhere also create a soothing glow, and you can get scented or plain depending on your preference for creating a tranquil space to relax in whether it’s in a living space, a bedroom or soaking in the tub.
  • Finally, don’t forget about lamps. Replace bright bulbs with lower wattage ones or use lights on a dimmer to reduce the harsh glare and instead enjoy the soft and intimate lighting from a floor or table lamp.

2. Create a cosy nook

There’s been a huge surge in popularity recently for creating cosy nooks out of unused spaces in the home, like the space under the stairs, and we love this idea for making your home feel more cosy. Once the basic shell is built, you can decorate and accessorize this space with large pillows and cushions, fairy lights, thick blankets and get comfy with a mug of something hot. Just check out these ideas for some inspiration.

If you don’t have any unused alcoves in your home that you can transform, you can achieve the same effect in a corner of your room. Add a big, comfy armchair, a blanket over the back of it and some lamps around it so you can sit in this spot and read the afternoon away.

3. Create a cabin-style feel to your home interiors

When people think of cosy homes, they’ll often picture a rustic wood cabin with lots of exposed beams, open fires and wood detailing. We know it’s not hard to recreate this look in your home – all you need is the right wood flooring to get started.

We have a fantastic range of floors which add beautiful, authentic accents to your home, thanks to the natural grain, the knots in the wood and the gorgeous hues. Take for example our timeless engineered handscraped traditional oak flooring – a popular choice and a stunning addition to any home.

Alternatively, our premier select southern walnut flooring adds a rich luxury to any room, whilst retaining eye-catching swirls and whorls to make your floor a real feature of any room. Don’t forget, you can also use wooden planks on the wall as well as the floor to create an instant rustic effect, just like a traditional cabin.

Comment

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.