dajana79

Would you paint your kitchen cabinets yourself? Why or why not!

BEYOND PAINT
6 years ago

We would love to learn more about home projects our wonderful Houzz readers would be willing to tackle....or not!

Comments (32)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

IMO painting cabinets is a huge job and if not done perfectly looks horrible. I always advise my clients have cabinets refinished or even new ones painted by a pro in a spray room .

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Never in a million years would I try painting kitchen cabinets. Always advise against it. Leave that job to a "cabinet pro with a dust free room" and proper equipment to do the prepping and finishing.

• Related Discussions

POLL: Would you ever let your partner design your home?

Q

Comments (39)
    My husband trusts me and prefers I make all those decisions. That said I always ask his opinion on large pieces. If I left it all to him he would lose interest before finishing! Design is so not his thing. But then I'm not interested in documentaries on outer space or Lego.... Best we stick to our own interests I think! ;)
    ...See More

Would you call yourself an interiors geek?

Q

Comments (13)
    As much as I can! I have an education in Interior Design and Architecture so my big passion in life is design and being creative. I find it very inspiring to create/design/redecorate an old unused room or furniture and make it useful and personal again. Many people make the mistake of getting rid of old furnitures, where I love to paint it or refurbish it or even use some of my carpenter skills to change it into something else. I will never get rid of anything before I know I have used it in any (stylish) way that I can :) Also, it is a great way to express yourself and your style and create a unique and personal home.
    ...See More

What colour would you paint these cabinets?

Q

Comments (40)
    Hi Cesca, as your kitchen is quite dark I would go for white cupboards and natural wood worktops, something like your table and chairs. This I would live without changing as I think they looks very nice. I would move the table 50cm from the kitchen cabinets and put some nice carpet just under the table and the chairs to make the space warmer and more cozy. I would paint the walls with light green and add some colourful details. White ir light grey curtains would also make your kitchen look special. If one day you decide to change the floor go for natural wood.
    ...See More

Would you like to design your own kitchen?

Q

Comments (0)
    We believe that great quality kitchens should be enjoyed by everyone. So we handcraft beautiful, sturdy, wooden kitchens and offer them to you directly from our factory at trade prices. We have also found that when it comes to your kitchen, you know best. That’s why we aim to cultivate the designer within you and encourage you to go DIY - as in, Design It Yourself. You know what you want and where you want it. With our help you can create your own cleverly, uniquely designed kitchen - would you like to find out how to design it yourself?
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    6 years ago

Its a big job.... if you are a good painter ( not sheetrock ) but trim and furniture then go for it but expect it to take twice as long. And try to set up as much of a controlled environment as you can.

• jhmarie
    6 years ago

I painted my some of my original kitchen cabinets when I moved them to the laundry room. I am fine with them there, and the task was time consuming, but not horrible, but I would not paint my present cabinets. Not only is it the work, but I have yet to see a paint job of previously finished wood cabinets that looked more than OK up close after a year. Usually I am seeing them at an open house, with a few years of wear, and I'm not impressed. We recently had our home appraised and the subject of painted over old cabinets came up - the appraiser just rolled her eyes about how often they look poorly, yet the home owner thinks they have just added lots of value to their home.

For those trying to get ten more years out of older worn cabinets - go for it. For those who like the "worn, shabby" look - go for it. When I see very beautiful kitchens with fine stained cabinetry - and the person wants to paint them white - even with a professional - well I wish I could pop in a few years later and see how they look.

• PRO
    Efficiency Plumbing & Remodeling, INC
    6 years ago

We would recommend leaving this task for the professionals. It seems like an easy task but it isn't, good luck!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

I will get Beth H over here to give you the do's and don'ts. She did it "once". Get it? lol And she is an expert woodworker.

• PRO
    BEYOND PAINT
    Original Author
    6 years ago

As a DIY refinishing paint line we often come across customers with the same doubts as all of you above. It's easy to "throw the idea out with the bath water" when you're not aware of products that might work for you. As an All-In-one system it's a great solution for people trying to extend the life of their cabinets a little while longer until they can replace their kitchens little by little if budgets don't allow for big remodels. It's also great when you just want a fresh look and are tired of the stained wood look, or the substrate is of just poor quality. We've loved seeing what you all have to say! Traditional refinishing of cabinets would call for a lot of elbow grease but not necessarily anymore...when minimal prep is involved and you don't have to strip, sand or prime.

• Matt Man
    6 years ago
    I would be fine doing my own cabinets, oh wait , I build and finish custom cabinets for a living.
  • PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    6 years ago

@ Matt - that's cheating lol!

My cousin painted her cabinets....medium sized kitchen... the problem - they were weekend warriors so it took forever... the cabinets/doors that were done in the first few days came out great... they took the time to really prep properly, etc etc etc.... the parts done towards the end of the project were not as nice close up. The novelty wore off and it became the never ending project.....that was about 5 or 6 years ago and they need to be redone....

• User
    6 years ago

We’ve done it, and with No regrets. But I would Never have attempted it IF there was any question of another way to reuse them, which in our case there wasn’t. Although it did take a lot of time and effort..

but that was a few years ago and they still look great! So I’m happy...

• smit2380
    6 years ago

I hate painted cabinets, so I am unlikely to paint them. If I were to lose my mind and paint some, heck yeah, I would do it myself. Mainly because I am an annoying perfectionist particularly about prep work, and would drive the painter nuts.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I've actually done it 3 times! for other people. It's a huge job and I've been painting furniture for quite sometime. It's not difficult, just very tedious and time consuming. Prepping is probably 80% of the work. once it's time to actually paint, you're home free.

First off is dismantling everything (hinges/handles) and you have to have a system where you number/mark them so they go back in the exact spot. They will never hang or fit right if you mix them up. So devise a numbering system to the base with correct door/drawer and find a place to mark them.

Now comes the really fun part. not. degreasing these guys. you must degrease, and degrease again. then sand. sand all of the finish off with an 80, 150 then 220 grit paper. clean well with mineral spirits or naphtha. Now use your primer. You can use the Shellac base but personally I like Zinsser Oil base primer. It's white and lays down a nice base coat. It also blocks stains and tannins and comes in a spray can. buy the contractors pack and save money. If you spray, it's quick and no brush marks. You will have to sand the primer coat with a 220 or 320. use a fine sanding block. Use your hands to feel if it's nice and smooth. wipe off every bit of dust particle with a cloth and a damp brush. This prep part will take you the longest to do. Hours and hours and hours, Especially if you have a thick coat of clear finish on your cabinets. Getting off the grease (if you try to sand this off, you'll just gunk up your sandpaper in 5 seconds. you have to really clean or get a wood stripper to get it all off if they're super greasy.

When your prep is finished, have a fifth of whiskey,,, now go lay out your doors. if you're painting in the garage, give the floor a spritz with a water mister (like a spray bottle). spray the floor all around the cabinet doors/drawers very well. this will keep the dust down when you walk by and from becoming airborne and settling on your nice paint job. You can also throw down a giant tarp or painters plastic. but mist that too. Once you r through w/your first coat. leave. don't walk around, open the doors, nothing. wait at least 16 hrs, and do a quick fine sand (I use a 600 wet sandpaper) smoothing any rough spots, brush marks. wipe clean. now do your second coat. You still with me? This is how you get a professional looking paint job that won't peel and looks nice and smooth. You can choose to spray w/an HVLP sprayer or brush. up to you. I'm good at brushing after years of practice. if you aren't, a sprayer might be better. practice with it. watch videos. do your homework.

I like using Advance paint. Pro Classic is nice too. Super dooper best paint is Hollanlac oil or the Ecolux water base hybrid.

• Milly Rey
    6 years ago

Done it. The problem is the durability of site painted cabinets. Easy enough to make them look good.

• Mokinu
    6 years ago

I'm a little confused at the idea of mobile kitchen cabinets that everyone seems familiar with. Is that a thing? Aren't they usually permanently fixed into place?

I prefer the wood look to painted cabinets. I'd probably rather wallpaper them than paint, as far as looks go. Painted ones can get stuck, sometimes, too, though, especially if they're not opened often.

We have painted cabinets, but I grew up with plain wood. Painted aren't bad, but I like the wood. We didn't have a professional do ours, but I didn't do it, either. Ours are white on the outside and yellow on the inside (like a banana cream pie).

I think it would be fun to paint them with chalkboard paint, though, but I understand that it might look kind of dusty and non-uniform after some use. :)

• Matt Man
    6 years ago
    Unfortunately no finish will be stronger than a factory finish, but not everyone has the luxury of a brand new install, therefore we go back to prep work.
  • User
    6 years ago

Funny, I am good at the prep work but the final topcoats drive me nuts as I am seeking perfection (which is pretty stupid of me really). I just did a bath vanity and am using it as a test to painting the kitchen. This bath is not highly used however so perhaps it is not a fair test. I painted with Advance and rolled with a mohair roller. I am not entirely happy with the results as there is a bit of the orange peel look. For prep, I actually stripped the cabinet, then grain filled with Timbermate and then primed with Bin white shellac. I felt exceptionally confident at that point, but after two topcoats, it is not as smooth as I would like. I have not been able to perfect brushing so if you have any good tips Beth, that would be great!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

mobuddy,,,,I've used Advance on many dressers. I would not use the roller. if you have to use one, use the foam for smooth surfaces. Sand down what you have with wet/dry paper, get a good brush and try it again. don't over work the paint. it's self leveling. if you post a pic I can tell you better.

here is one I brushed.

(this was a customer who wanted it for a nursery changing table. don't hate on the pink!)

yes, I brushed the entire thing. the top took me 6 or 7 coats, the sides 3. the drawers were easy. Just use a good thinner cutting angle brush and smooth coats. I used a good quality Purdy 3" brush for the top. after first coat, I sanded w/either a 150 or 220 to remove the heavy brush marks. coat 2, maybe 220 grint, the next coats were wet sanded w/600 wet/dry paper. When I'm happy that I have a smooth, glass like finish, I stop. Obviously I used the glossy paint, so no top coat needed. The gray on the drawers was also brushed.this dresser is that fake wood, so I really had to prime it well. here is one of the drawers. I had to hand sand each of these because the finish was peeling

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

Beth excellent instructions. Hollandlac is all we use on cabinets and trim.

• User
    6 years ago

Beth, thank you! I was using the Purdy and even bought a Chinex hoping it would be softer and show less brush marks. For me, the foam rollers produced a lot of bubbles. I just need more practice! We bought an Earlex sprayer because we have all the interior doors and closets to paint. It will be an endless job as the baseboards, door trim and crown molding have not been painted in 38 years for the most part. I have been painting the trim with Advance and a 2 1/2 angled Purdy. For some reason the trim painting is going better than what I did on the base of the vanity.

I am de-railing this thread. Sorry!

P.S. Your work is very nice. I would have thought that dresser was sprayed!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

mobuddy,,,yes,,the foam roller does do that. which is why I brush. (to me setting up the sprayer is such a pain. I also have the Earlex). Doing long dresser tops w/a brush can be a bit challenging. but through a lot of trial and error, I've got it down. you can always thin you paint w/a bit of water. alway wet your brush (if it's dry) with water before dipping it in the paint. A little water on the brush also helps to spread it better. do not go back and forth or you will get the drag marks. if you get a brush mark, let it dry and go back and sand it smooth. by sanding, you knock down the high spots. by the next coat, that all fills it and it smooths out. I have both the purdy and the wooster..I think I use the Firmer one for the top of the dresser. It has the white/to pink tip bristles. Try using that and wet sanding and see if it helps. you can sand the bubbles smooth a bit as well.

If you'd like me to take a look at it, send me an email (it's under my name with a link to my blog) and some pics.

• User
    6 years ago

@Beth, just a quick question here as it might be helpful to others too. Do you ever topcoat over Advance with a non-yellowing water-based poly? Before deciding on Advance I was going to use General Finishes milk paint and then their high performance water based poly. Decided to skip that and just use Advance but now as I think about it, would an extra layer of protection over Advance hurt? I know Benjamin Moore also makes a non-yellowing topcoat but they don't advertise it much.

@Beyond Paint, with your product is it also considered an all-in-one? Are any additional topcoats necessary? Can you tell us a bit about your product? Is it an acrylic hybrid? Can you tell us a little about the durability?

• ilikefriday
    6 years ago

I would do it in a second..... if I could talk my dh into it. In fact if he said yes right now I would slap something on the cabinets almost instantly even if it wasnt what would be needed to complete the finaly project. Just so he wouldnt have a chance to change his mind. lol

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Thanks Beth for jumping over here. Just reading all this convinces me to never do this myself! I call people!! YOU! Your work is awesome and i totally bow to your patience.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

Well Flo,,I'm gonna call people too when I tackle my own! I will never do that again. unless they are simple oak cabinets in a tiny bungalow. I have a million cabinets in my kitchen with tons of trim and crap. I'm calling people!

Mobuddy,,,,I use Advance in glossy. there is no need to top coat it. If you are using a satin finish, which I wouldn't for cabinets, then yes, give it a coat. if BM has their own, great. Water Based polys won't yellow . supposedly. if you want a non yellowing oil paint, then use fine Paints of Europe Hollandlac. they are the only company that guarantees no yellowing of their paint. costs a fortune, but it's the best paint ever made! seriously, if you want nice cabinets, use their paint. Advance is a second. use the semi or the gloss finish.

• artsyphartsy_home_maker
    6 years ago

I personally would take on a cabinet painting job like that, I have little to no fear about jumping in to the unknown headfirst when it comes to a creative D.I.Y. project, but my Husband on the other hand NOT SO MUCH! There for we don't take on huge projects like that because he is not on board with it. it's not worth watching him have a melt down over it. Even if I did all of the work he still couldn't handle it. So we are getting new Kraftmaid cabinets & a big box store is installing them. Demo day is this Friday!

• PRO
    Brunswick Design
    6 years ago

If you are a professional, then yes, but if you're not, then definitely no. Kitchen is such an important part of any home and we spend so much time in it that it really needs to look as close to perfect as possible. Painting cabinets is not an easy job to do and it often can turn out much more expensive when you do it because you will need to pay a professional to cover your mistakes. Hire a professional to paint your old kitchen cabinets or buy new ones, this is what we always advise.

• PRO
    BEYOND PAINT
    Original Author
    6 years ago

With a woven fabric roller, you can achieve results like this with our water-based paint line. This is an RV makeover done with our furniture, cabinets and more paint. Only took her a few days to complete the entire thing. Talk about GLAMPING!

• PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    6 years ago

Get a pro. Takes too long to do it yourself and you're basically out of your kitchen till it's finished. Good luck!

• chiflipper
    6 years ago

Bathroom vanity...yes. Kitchen cabinets...NO.

• tozmo1
    6 years ago

Did it. Long process, not perfect but better than what they looked like before. It all depends on the budget. At the time, I did'nt have money to pay a professional. Fifteen years later, I'm ripping them out an putting in custom built. It's all good. You gotta work with what you got and not bust the budget. We all want to retire some day. :-)

• PRO
    Gerety Building and Restoration
    6 years ago

Even as someone who is well versed in remodeling & restoration, I'll "call a guy" for that task. It's a beast of a project, and is not for the faint of heart.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.