ktbugg

Has anyone ordered tile online from Tile.Expert?

KT
6 years ago

Has anyone done business with an online tile distributor called Tile.Expert based in Valletta, Malta?

https://tile.expert/en-us

I found an Italian tile for a bathroom remodel (shower walls & wainscot) at my local tile distributor in Utah but it is only available in 13x13". Tile.Expert places orders and arranges delivery directly from the manufacturers. If my contractors can work with the delay of a 1-2 month delivery time, I would be able to acquire the tile in my preferred size of 20x20" along with any trim and accent pieces I may need. The tile in question is made by Imola - Antares, color G (gray)

http://www.imolaceramica.com/en/products/collection/antares/

Comments (55)

• Cindy
    6 years ago
    Yes, I think the risk is high. I love the selection of tile though! You could decrease the risk by ordering a higher overage.
  • glockdog
    5 years ago

I'm interested in ordering from tile.expert, but how high are the shipping costs? Their prices are almost half of my local tile shop, but would the shipping costs negate the savings?

• Related Discussions

Non- matching roof tiles. Anyone recommend a roof finish to paint on?

Q

Comments (5)
    Most roofing tiles, if they are not slate, are a kind of concrete so in theory they are paintable with either a masonry paint or something like Sikaflex which is designed for flat roofs. A masonry paint would require a sealer and at least two coats of finish in order to last any time at all. The main problem with painting a roof is that once it is painted it will always have to be painted, otherwise as it wears it will begin to look poor, normal masonry finishes depending on the substrate and position etc can last from 3 - 7 years if you are lucky, so that needs to be born in mind. PersonallyI would leave the roof to weather naturally.
    ...See More

Can anyone recommend some tile suppliers for bathrooms?

Q

Comments (6)
    If I were you, I'd search for some local independent stockists which might be able to give you some better advice and may have something a little different. If you take photos of the ones you like, they may be able to source something similar. We found this route much easier & less stressful after ordering countless samples from the Internet.
    ...See More

Does anyone have experience of Atrafloor?

Q

Comments (45)
    If you scroll through this link you will see my photos. I ordered this for my kitchen. My completely inexperienced contractor installed the floors over existing 50 year old asbestos vinyl. We used the Atrafloor cold weld. The seam is almost invisible and the product is water tight. Your installers are using old technology and old methods. It is very usable for a home installation. Mine have been down about 3 months old and look great. My installer also made a small measuring mistake and I ended up with a 2nd seam, but it is not noticeable at all. You cannot use the type of adhesive sold in USA it is old fashioned and old technology. Mine was not stiff at all, but I did keep it inside the house to acclimatize before installation. It is soft a pliable. Atrafloor answered all my emails.
    ...See More

natural wood shelf for bathroom sink? Anyone make one?

Q

Comments (30)
    Thanks, done it all myself :-) full schluter system, cost a small fortune but worth it, I actually dug my floor out and replaced it adding the needed slope to the drain! My floor tiles are from Brazil, sorry can’t recall the make but that was two years ago and I was in a tile shop choosing patio tiles and couldn’t believe the choice nowadays! They neatly look as if they have been in an old house that has been burnt in a fire! I love them but they are a brave choice tbh. The back lite mirror and led strip which down washes the wall with the shower heads and controls really is needed as the Pom is quite dark! Saying that I love dark walls too so it really does look fantastic with the strip light on at night even just as a feature!
    ...See More
  • savartglas
    4 years ago

Cindy, how much overage did you order? We are ordering from them because no one in US has customers tile? Help!!

• Danielle Rayoum
    4 years ago

I am curious about this as well. Did you end up ordering with them? If so, how did it turn out?

• KT
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I did not order from them. I found an equivalent tile from a local distributor.

• PRO
    Archmony Design
    4 years ago

Yes I have! I ordered 3,500 SF of an Italian ceramic tile for 1/2 of the price, it came before the expect delivery date. Only one piece broken that they refunded me! I am so happy I ordered from them, I saved my client about 15k.

• PRO
    International Tiles
    3 years ago

I just quoted a client for a factory I deal with and they came back to say Tile Expert was cheaper. As an importer, we don't get beaten on price by a reseller/drop shipper and checking the price with delivery, it was way more than my quote with delivery included. The factories they claim to buy from don't support this form of drop shipping so its buyer beware as far as I am concerned. Support your local stores, its where your neighbours work!

• Carlyn Luna
    3 years ago

I ordered my tile from them and am awaiting it's arrival. I just love the look of it. You have to be patient, however. The sample took about 6 weeks to arrive, and the tile is taking closer to 8 weeks (COVID may play a role in the delay.) Shipping wasn't cheep - added about $1.50/sq ft to the price (US). But it still made the tile we picked more affordable than many domestic options, and we just couldn't find anything else we loved as much locally. I'll let you know how it works out, but we have high hopes!

• Chelsea Sharpe
    3 years ago

HI Carlyn, did your tile come in okay and as expected?

• jacquelineos
    3 years ago

I am also considering ordering tile as it is the one I like the best and I cannot find anyone local or in the US to deal with it.... Love to hear your final experience.

• Christine Donleavy
    3 years ago

I just ordered from them -- I'll let you know how it goes!

• Giulia Romano
    3 years ago

Hi Christine, I found some tiles I'm really interested into on the website, I was wondering if you had any updates on your order!

• Christine Donleavy
    3 years ago

Hey all! I got my tiles today. It took a while but it was EARLIER than expected. All arrived in perfect condition. I kept in touch with my sales associate throughout the whole process and she always responded right away (during business hours that is). I paid extra to use my credit card for insurance purposes but it worked out perfectly anyway. I hope this is helpful for everyone. I highly recommend.

• nhaseley
    3 years ago

I just placed an order with them. Just now. the situation is that noone local carries this particular tile, and noone would order it for me. I nervously await...

• PRO
    SET Real Estate Group
    3 years ago

Also considering ordering from this place the tile looks amazing. Are all the sizes in feet?

For the super large pieces has anyone applied that on a fireplace accent? Do I need to order anything else from the site for instal? Thank you!!

• nhaseley
    3 years ago

My tile from Spain, ordered through Tile Experts, arrived on time and in perfect condition.

• Mike Davis
    3 years ago

I ordered 2'x4' tiles on Nov 17th. They tell me to expect them on the 20th of January. I truly hope they all arrived in good condition because of the large sized. I will keep all posted.

MikeD

• Angie S
    3 years ago

I placed my order on the 12/2/2020 and they said it would be here on 1/20/2021-1/21/2021, it did not show up, did not get a call or message about the delay. I did talk to “irene” and there was a delay and will hopefully be here between 2/5-2/8. I was told that I will be compensated each day for the delay. Has this happened to anyone else? Nervously awaiting the order, I hope it arrives and that this is not a scam.

• PRO
    SET Real Estate Group
    3 years ago

Keep us updated I just placed a really large order with them a few weeks ago and kinda nervous to see if it all arrives.

• nhaseley
    3 years ago

Hi - I was nervous also, but all went well for my order. Just stay in touch with your sales person and all should be ok! I was very happy with the process. My tile arrived Dec 23rd, very hectic time for deliveries but they made it before the estimated time. I would order from them again. Hope this helps give you confidence : )

• Angie S
    3 years ago

Good news. Got the tile in. Unfortunately, it was delayed due to all the crazy weather we have been getting. Very happy with the purchase... and to know it is a legit company. There were no issues with the tile itself, no cracks or chips seen.

• PRO
    SET Real Estate Group
    3 years ago

How’s the quality of the tile?

• Angie S
    3 years ago

We were able to compare it to the one from the showroom. It is exactly the same. Also to note, our product was delivered in -10F weather and nothing broke!

• PRO
    SET Real Estate Group
    3 years ago

Wow that’s amazing

• Mike Davis
    3 years ago

Received the Tiles On Feb 5th. Late because of East Cost weather. 4 broken tiles. They took 100 buck of for late shipping and will ship the replacement told in 6-8 weeks.

the tiles are 2 ft by 4 ft. 32 sq ft of floor will have to wait to complete. I am extremely happy with the very unique tiles that are not sold in the US.

• Maria Elena Poó
    3 years ago

The best service ever. Tiles were beautiful and perfectly cut. The customer service so efficient and helpful. Delivery on time to Ireland with no hidden costs. Will be buying more from them soon. 100% recommended.

• Audrey Flynn
    2 years ago

Don't use them they are a shambles!!

• HU-316125376
    2 years ago

I ordered 68 boxes of porcelain plank tiles. The quote at my local retailer was more than double than what I paid. I ordered mid March and paid via CC. Received all 68 boxes, delivered on time from the order estimated timeframe. Only 4 tiles were damaged, mostly corners that were mildly chipped that I can cut and still use. Overall very satisfied and relieved. I will definitely order again for my next project.

• HU-682005673
    2 years ago

https://tile.expert/en-gb/blog/a-revolutionary-cashback-notice-for-the-customers

\ Does it look legit to you?

Tile Factories do not supply this company direct, Fact.

Without buying directly from the factory they can't afford to achieve the prices they quote. Contact the factory of the tile you want to buy and ask them. They will tell you this outfit do not deal with them. These guys are buying from wholesalers and reselling at lower than wholesale price. If it seems too good to be true, take a moment and think.

Don't ask yourself 'how do they do it for the money' think 'why do they do it for the money?

The rates they quote would be unsustainable for any exporting business, let alone one where the manufacturers do not interact with them. If the manufacturers believed there was a valid reason to deal with anyone they would justify it.

If you have asked yourself how and why, and still want answers, read the response Tile.Expert wrote when their accounts were frozen for suspected money laundering in the link above.

I am no expert in financial matters, but I do work in the tile industry. I know what tiles cost to buy from the source, and ship across the world, and without factory support, the prices you see online are impossible to survive on as a business. So why would a company act in this way, to buy tiles from almost every factory in Europe, and yet deal with none of them. To buy wholesale and re-sell at cost or lower? To make money on shipping? Shipping prices are through the roof right now, and I see no uplift in the rates from Tile.Expert.

I can tell you if you buy at these prices, if the tiles get delivered, if they are the right ones, not damaged, not second quality or worse commercial quality, if everything seems perfect and you have managed to save a massive amount of money, please ask yourself this question. If I have gotten such a great deal here, should I care where the tiles come from or where the money goes?

If it's a legitimate source and a business that has its motives in giving the consumer an unbelievable deal then you are a winner and it's all ok.

If it's not a legitimate business and despite the clues and warnings you go ahead and buy your products, you are still a winner, but in this case, where there are winners, there have to be losers.

Money laundering is not a victimless crime. Google it and see it's not just a financial scam, there are real victims, and if you are still happy after knowing where your money might be going and what crime it might be funding, enjoy the tiles.

• nhaseley
    2 years ago

I have ordered subway tile from Tile Experts, for delivery in Europe. The price of the tile was similar to tile shops, but availability was better to the range of the brand. Delivery was faster, though more expensive. The delivery was perfect, tiles A quality, and not 1 tile was broken.

• S Chao
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Looks like there are some middle man getting really upset about tile.expert undercut their markup. I have order over 3000 sq ft of tiles from them, it is so nicely pack that it takes time to unpack it. it is not your average home improvement shop package, it is packed directly from the manufacturer. My contractor said he has never seen anything packed this well.

The tile is top quality, delivered on time, customer service is top notch. if you need to see picture, I am happy to provide you photo proof. Like other reviewer, i also pay with credit card becuz I was scared. Well, tile.expert proved me wrong, they are a legit company. I saved SO MUCH money, not to mention I am getting tiles that cant be found in USA

• PRO
    SET Real Estate Group
    2 years ago

The quality of tile is top notch there is no doubt about that! But be mindful that if your ordering ahead of time and anything arrives broken or gets lost in transit you will have to wait 2-3 months to get replacements. We ordered over 15k worth of tile and when it arrived one pallet was completely missing. Since the delivery occurred when no one was at the site FEDEX left all pallets on the curb. Once it was loaded inside because it was so heavy it was impossible to figure out which tile was missing. Once I contacted tile expert they had no idea what was shipped out in first pallet. We had to hire extra guys to help us lift all the tile to figure out what was missing. Back and forth for a few weeks we finally placed a replacement order. But it was months out so we ended up having to change tile some areas. Needless to say it was supper stressful. So Order extra just in case. I think next time I’ll do a smaller order.

• lehk
    2 years ago

Well, I had hoped to give Tile.Expert a good review but I am still waiting for the tile I ordered 5 months ago...

It wasn't so much the price that led us to take a chance on this international purchase (~700 sq ft). The tile was the ONLY one the hubby and I both loved and no local distributor had it. The quick delivery of samples wooed us into thinking it would be OK. Now I am second guessing our decision since we still don't have the tile and our project is stalled out. Should we have just gone to Home Depot?!? Is this a money-laundering front as another reviewer suggested?

We totally understand the pandemic, worldwide supply chain and shipping issues are in the mix. And if *late tile* is your biggest problem then life is going pretty OK for you. What is prompting me to write this is the poor communication we are experiencing, which (like everywhere else) may be a symptom of staffing shortages. Customers will understand if you just communicate with us!

So this is my *Buyer Beware* review. Maybe it will save you from a similar fate. Or maybe "Irene's" bosses will see this and get her some help.

I am glad others here had good experiences. We have not so far. I will update this review if/when our tile arrives.

• Lila S
    2 years ago

Just yesterday I placed a big order with Tile.Expert,. Irene was my Saleswoman as well. I just have to wait and see. I sent her a message and mentioned your story. We are in the same boat now. Please keep me updated.

• PRO
    SET Real Estate Group
    2 years ago

I think Irene is the only salesperson they have lol

• Lila S
    2 years ago

This was her response to my message about what happened to your order:

We did have one container in December that was delayed by one month due to the congestion in port, so the customers received their orders with a delay and some of them are still waiting for the carriers to arrive. This was due to the congestion in port and because the container was put on a customs hold. But usually the orders arrive within the confirmed delivery period and you can see that in the comments.
    Still waiting 5 full months for your order is UNACCEPTABLE. Please keep us updated.

• lehk
    2 years ago

Yes, I was provided with similar information after I inquired. And, yes, there absolutely is/was congestion at the ports. Totally understandable in our current environment.

The lack of accurate and proactive communication, especially once delivery deadlines were missed, is my issue.

After some additional back-and-forth, I do now have a tracking number and revised delivery date. And I have been told we will be *compensated for the delay* although without specifics.

Maybe the hassle will be worth it in the end? I'll let you know.

• PRO
    Rocks in Stock
    2 years ago

I am sorry to hear about your experience with them.

RocksinStock.com

• Brent Bordelon
    last year

I ordered from Tile.Expert back in Feb 2022 and was given an expected delivery date of May 15, 2022. Today is June 21, 2022, and I still haven't received them. I have been in frequent communication with Maria since May, and have been given a lot of reasons for the delay, but have yet to receive the tiles.

• Brent Bordelon
    last year
    last modified: last year

UPDATE:

Shortly after my post above, I received info that my order would arrive on June 26, 2022. It arrived as expected. Not a single damaged tile, and they put the pallet exactly where I wanted it, which was a bonus. The tiles are exactly what I ordered, and I am now a happy camper!

Additionally, I'll receive the refund for the delay according to their policy.

• Tara Celustka
    last year

I made the mistake of ordering from them. Tiles arrived broken. They still have not shipped replacement tiles. it has been since January. They keep telling me the tiles are on their way and it is never true. Last update…I hage a tracking number with a link that doesn’t work. Definitely buy local and have soemone who you can work with face-face.

• lovetogarden
    last year

i am also wondering about tile.expert. The tile we want is not available in the US market (we looked!), and seems only available in European market. Ragno woodchoice in milk.

We need to cover 422sf space. I was thinking we should order 30% more tiles because chevron pattern supposedly need 20% more tiles and also an extra 10% tile for in case we need more. Is that too much extra?

Brent, I am glad to hear that your experience was positive.

Tara, I am sorry to hear your shipment has went missing. That is one of the concerns I have with buying from tile.expert.

@lehk, did your tiles ever arrive?

Thanks to original poster to start this helpful thread, and to everyone who have replied. I still don't know whether we can stomach the risk, but it is so helpful to read about your experiences ordering from this online tile store.

• HU-668789285
    last year

I definitely do not recommend to cooperate with tile.expert. I ordered items through the shopping cart and was then told that one type of the tiles was not available as declared on the website. I was assured for several weeks by the salesman Arthur that he was still checking availability with the manufacturer, which was probably not true. He did not respond separately to my request to send me part of the order. All the time they had my money. After a few weeks, I ran out of patience, cancelled the order and ordered it through a local supplier. My money came back after a week, due to the inconvenient exchange rate I lost about 10% of the value of the order. Never again.

• Ronnie Smith
    last year

I just received my tile. I was very skeptical with how low their prices were compaired to others, but it all checked out It was slow to get adding an additional month if I had gotten it local but it was worth it for the savings. I would order from them again.

• PRO
    Lacy Allison Interiors, LLC
    10 months ago

Can anyone post project photos? TIA!

• Jon Lawrence
    10 months ago

We just got our tile! We were also skeptical of ordering from Tile.Expert, but the online reviews and local pricing quotes on tile we really liked convinced us to give them a try.

We've been planning far enough ahead on our remodel that a 9-week lead time was workable, and we were excited to have our small but heavy (1,377lbs!) pallet of tile delivered this week; with the freight driver noting that the tile was really well packed compared to some he's seen.

The boxes were each tightly strapped to ensure no rattling or movement, then wrapped with a very strong, very thick shrink wrap that kept everything solidly in place, and then all that was strapped down further for it's trip from Italy to the PNW.

We unpacked all of it the last two days to find there was not one single broken tile in the shipment, and it was exactly as we'd ordered, at a price well under what we could have gotten locally (we had local tile shop quote on the exact same material, with our designers discount, and it was still significantly higher).

We'll try to post some pics once it's all installed in a couple of months:) but wanted to share our experience and recommend the tile.expert folks in the meantime!

• PRO
    Robin Nunez
    9 months ago

Hi Jon Lawrence, have you installed your tiles yet? I would love to see a pic.

• Lila S
    9 months ago

I forgot to update my experience with Tile Expert. It was supposed to arrive in 4 months, but it took 5 months to arrive to the port, then another 3 weeks to delivered. It was well packed, and only couple was broken even my shipment was huge with 16 different kinds of tiles.

• Lisbeth K
    last month

In case anyone else finds this thread, I just had an order from Feb 5, shipped on 29th and got delivered today on March 12 by FedEx. Zero issues, very well packaged, nothing broke. Pretty impressed.

Sponsored
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.