robyn_jankel

What to do with hearthstone when polishing/staining old floorboards?

Robyn J
6 years ago

I moved into my Victorian home six months ago and am redecorating all of the rooms. They are in different states but mostly pretty good condition.

At some point over the last century the dining room has had the entire fireplace and chimney breast removed. I discovered this when the walls were stripped and re-wallpapered over the weekend.

My next job is to get the floors sanded and varnished. Yesterday I peeled back the (hideous) carpet and discovered a large concrete slab, presumably where the old hearthstone used to be (or the hearthstone itself? I have no idea).

My friend suggested tiling over it, which I'm not opposed to in theory. My problem is that not only is the hearthstone itself 50cm deep, but since the chimney breast no longer exists, it's a further 40cm away from where the wall now is (with well-fitted stumpy bits of wood in between the wall and the back of the concrete). So that's almost a metre out, in a room which is only 2.8m wide anyway and which I am using as a dining room - i.e. the table in the centre of the room, so the hearthstone will be right underneath the chairs, and the edges would be a trip hazard. It wouldn't really matter in any other room since the furniture could be rearranged to accommodate it. But in a dining room, raising it in any way (i.e. tiling) simply isn't practical.

Has this completely scuppered my plans to sand down the floorboards? Will I need to shell out for new wooden flooring that covers the entire floor? Or is there some way of removing this slab and its stubby surrounds, and filling the gap with reclaimed floorboards, without causing irreparable damage to the house?

There is a bit of chipboard in place of some floorboards but only in one corner. The remainder are, I believe, the original floorboards from 1876.

I'm very open to creative suggestions, but whatever happens, I refuse to have carpet in the dining room.

The hearthstone is under the carpet on the left of this photo.

Comment

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.