noviceatthis

Lead paint sanded off by decorator, now very worried

design novice
6 years ago

I am very concerned and not sleeping well. On Wednesday a decorator sanded a window sill and skirting in my bedroom using an electric sander. I thought he was going to overpaint them and to my horror I have tested the old paint underneath with a 3M lead testing kit and the paint chips have turned pink indicating lead positive.

My children slept next door to the room in question for 12 hours that evening and I slept in a different room due to the dust. They then went to the grandparents while I have been cleaning everywhere for the last 3 days, buying a HEPA filter etc and wet wiping everywhere and washing all our bedding. It is a nightmare! I am also in process of ripping up the carpets (which were old anyway and about to be renewed) as I have read the dust can stay in the fibres.

On the advice of the local hospital (one doc was concerned, the senior consultant was not as worried) we have all had blood tests taken and the results will not be back for another 5 days. We do not appear to have any symptoms of lead poisoning but there was a lot of dust everywhere. The children were out at school at the time of sanding and back within a few hours of it having taken place. They also sanded (by hand) a fair amount easi fill from the ceiling so it is difficult to know if some of the dust which has travelled out of the room is from that.

I just pray the blood tests are normal. I also look at my lovely bed which is still covered in dust and my curtains and wonder if I will ever feel happy sleeping in there again!!!!

Has anyone else had this experience?

Comments (2)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.