samantha_parrish

Back Garden Design Dilema

Samantha
10 years ago
Hi all I'm currently working on coming up with a new design for my back garden. At the moment it is horribly overgrown, with a falling down fence, a small breeze block shed (apparently built as a rabbit hutch) and a slightly shabby looking garage. The garden is north facing, quite exposed (we tend to get strong winds whipping down the length of the garden) and has quite a light sandy soil. We use the garden a lot as we park our cars at the bottom behind the garage.

I would like to have a nice garden (obviously lol), with a good sized seating area in the sun (I've been thinking in front of the garage, but not necessarily), a path to the back gate from the house, space for my lean to greenhouse (currently fixed to the garage wall), one or two raised beds with the idea of growing vegetables, a raised herb bed (preferably by the house), space for a washing line and compost heap and some sort of dog run (the idea being we can open the back door for the dog and not have to worry about it digging up the garden lol - we've not got a dog yet but are looking at getting one). I would like to have a lawn, space for the dog and my brother in laws children to run round (and possibly my own one day).

I tend to go for the more traditional/ cottage garden type designs with a bit of a contemporary twist. My OH doesn't go for the really modern designs and prefers more natural lines to the hard straight edges. I've been collecting images from Houzz and have got an ideabook for the garden, if anyone wants to have a look.

The dilemma at the moment is I'm stuck. I've attached a screen dump (with dimensions) from google sketchup which I'm using to come up with ideas. So far I've got a patio by the house (the idea of fencing it off with a gate for the dog) and a patio at the top. The area by the side of the garage is inspired by this photo
debora carl landscape design · More Info
which I love.

The only thing set in stone in the screen dump is the house garage and boundary lines lol. Any suggestions on layouts would be much appreciated. I've been working on this for ages but just seem to be a bit stuck in a rut. We want to get the garden done this summer (presuming we actually have one lol - so far its looking like a typical wet british summer). Thanks in advance. Sam.

Comments (21)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.