monidda

I would appreciate your help with this

Monica
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello there, I am desperate to put together another bedroom before Christmas, but as always funds are low and much more needed in other parts of the reno. I have most of the stuff from our other house, and wondered if you would weigh in your opinion on my choices please ?

I have everything in this mood board apart from the two dressing tables, watching both of them on eBay right now. Which one do you think would work best ? then my second question I need help with is the grasscloth wallpaper, which I also have. Is it the wrong vibe for the french bed?

As for all the painted pieces, I am thinking of adding a gray wash on the bedsides units then unifying the bed frame and dressing table. What do you think?

Comments (62)

• Monica
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oh Elitis *all the heart eyes* even the name sounds expensive LOL Thank you love xx

• minnie101
    6 years ago

Lol! What do you think of this one? The colour seems to work well on my screen! It's not particularly cheap either (are you just doing 1 wall?!!) but think I saw it cheaper elsewhere.

http://www.janeclayton.co.uk/product/chambray/33249

Monica thanked minnie101
  • Related Discussions

Our new baby boys nursery.

Q

Comments (15)
    I recently carpeted my toddlers room and originally I wanted hard flooring but I must say I'm glad I didn't. I think carpet would be much more comfortable for your little boy to be playing on for years to come. Don't spend too much ;) I was wiping sick off mine the other week and if it was a very expensive carpet I would have been nervous as hell. Luckily it all came out fine! I know both carpet and wood have pros and cons so I guess you need to weigh it up whilst making sure you put comfort and practicality over how it looks (boring I know...) you would need a lovely thick rug over your wood floor which would be a nice touch to the nursery...
    ...See More

Would really appreciate some help with kitchen design

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi. The magnet design looks almost identical to what you have now apart from the sink being moved is that correct? Can the nib of wall on the left with the radiator on it be removed completely as this along with the massive fridge and breakfast bar is what is making the kitchen feel very separate from dining area. I would lose the massive fridge and get something integrated and full height like the current tall cupboard you have to left of garden door. If you can remove the bib then you can either extend the units out along the stove side to provide more cupboard space or you could put a built in banquette there for people to perch on and chat to you whilst you are cooking? It depends what you really need, more storage, more work surface or more options for seating? Personally I’m not sure the sink would work well shoved under the window I know it’s the fantasy but really how much time do you spend washing up and staring dreamily at the back garden? It looks a bit cramped to me. Try and imagine yourself in the space using it and how practical it would be. Assess exactly how many units you need to store your stuff and don’t have more cupboards for the sake of it. If you have a banquette you can have lift up seats for storing little used items which can be very useful. Anyway hope that’s some food for thought :)
    ...See More

Sloping garden. I would really appreciate any design ideas please xx

Q

Comments (4)
    I would start by mapping out areas of your garden that get morning sun, evening sun, shade in the daytime etc. Then you can decide what you want to use those areas for. I presume the shot taken is evening sun, so the top area with a table gets the last sun of the day and you'd want to keep that for a seating area. I do really like the lower patio area, great job on that. You'll need to terrace or add a set of steps to the upper area of the garden to get it flat and without a slippery bank. What is the height difference between the top of your patio stairs and table and chair area on the top grass? Depending on what is behind that hedge, and how much your budget is, one idea would be to add a retaining wall along the back perimeter of your garden so you could drop the level of the garden a metre or so on the top tier, slope what is left. Add a small set of steps to make easier access the lowered top area, or perhaps a whole new set of steps that goes all the way from lower to upper level. Good luck with the project!
    ...See More

What colour window frames and door for the front of my house?

Q

Comments (13)
    Hi Stefanie, it would be well worth taking a look at the Chameleon Decorators and Window Restoration blog about the colour of your windows. They restore and paint thousands of windows a year to a really high standard and know the best colours to choose to compliment your property perfectly. They have lists of the best paints to use, and they can also paint your windows and restore them for you as well. https://chameleon-decorators.co.uk/blog/
    ...See More
  • Monica
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That's gorgeous!!! In silver? or the fawn do you think? Not sure how much depth it has never seen one like it installed in a space but love the look of it. I plan on doing the whole room for a cohesive look.

• minnie101
    6 years ago

It was the fawn one I was thinking of, on my screen it's grey'ish but with the yellowy tones and seemed to work well against the bed. Oh wow Monica that won't be cheap, lucky guests!

Monica thanked minnie101
  • Monica
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I have ordered a sample of it in fawn thank you. I know, I do this every time say Im going to this on the cheap but then I get sidetracked into I don't want to re do this again soon so it grows and grows. So far I have been lucky as the other things needed I already had or came in at a reasonable amount. And I will make sure to inform every person stopping just how lucky they are LOL

• minnie101
    6 years ago

Well on the plus side I don't think you'll ever tire of a textured wallpaper so wouldn't want to do it again. Whatever you do would look fab against that bed though, I love it, Oka recently brought out some bold striped velvet cushions which are my current obsession! Lol! Make sure you post some pics when all the samples come through :)

• Monica
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ok so nearly a week in and I am still waiting for these samples :( I wonder where they are coming from? Looking at chair options , first one comes with a footstool which I could use for the dressing table, I love the cane on the second one and I could spruce the colour up and make him look a ton better than that picture, if all else fails a simple Bentwood chair?? What are your thoughts ??

• PRO
    OnePlan
    6 years ago
    I have one like the top one with footstool - and live in fear of a guests dog jumping up on it and ruining it ! Bought it because I just loved it - didn’t have my practical head on ! So think about who’d be using the space and what they bring with them before you choose ! Loving how it’s all coming together !!!
    Monica thanked OnePlan
  • Ro Ro
    6 years ago

Hi Monica! Oh Ho! Ho! Ho! Ahah! So, it is the rush up to Christmas and the season for decking the halls with lots of trees again LOL! Big flashback to great times back in the run up to Christmas 2014!?

Well, I really like the rattan chair and know you will make it perfetto! And I would have gone for the left hand dressing table and would have ignored the grass cloth w/paper! Here in Ireland, only just emerging from two years of on-off renovation / refurbishing... Haven't looked through the various wallpapers that have come up but look forward to seeing the finished article - closer to Christmas!

Best wishes Monica, you are a super person!

Pic of Lillie our new Bichon poochio!

Far too clever must've trained at Bletchley Park!

• Monica
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you lovely One Plan, I think you have a valid point and I think the cane one would fit a bit better an give that different texture I am craving amongst the painted pieces. I can make it look a LOT more interesting than what it looks at the minute.

Ro !!!!! How wonderful to hear from you and how gorgeous is Miss Lillie?? Yes can you believe it that this will be our 3rd Christmas in this house and we are still doing bits to the house? The extension that wasn't even in the plans three years ago its about to start in the new year and the porch is being rebuilt as we speak so I will finally have the door of my dreams, instead of that horrible plastic monstrosity LOL.

• Monica
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ok so the samples have come and I am not sure.

• Ro Ro
    6 years ago

Hi Monica - yes, our third Christmas here!

We too, still have a plastic monstrosity front door and still lots of unfinished stuff, in the house plus one 18ft x 30ft upstairs flat to reconfigure and the same size garage space underneath to similarly convert, in the annexe.

...Getting a tad fed up with it all to be honest. But Lillie has brought a delightful new energy!

Hard to get things done here... :-( and good ole hubs has definitely earned lots of medals and even - to his great pleasure - lost weight through his consistent efforts in so many departments!

'Allo, this is Earlond calling Ingland with our vote:

Based upon how the wallpapers look in the pics:

If I had to pick one from the wallpaper samples for the various elements that you have (and I do love all the things you have chosen - the curtains are super and the chandelier! As a registered chandelier addict ...I just cannot get away from my own love of chandeliers... And they do proliferate here!

I think I would choose in first place the sixth (last) one down because it is less busy for the painted furniture. I really like it. The bed would be really good against it, too, I think and the curtains - it has a weight of colour about it that supports such the curtains and a bold (fab) bed. And, the actual 'mood' from the colours of it are making it so beautifully 'still' whereas I do find the textures of the grass cloth quite busy.

The shade of the lovely Chambray is giving a nice plain luminosity (though, maybe not quite right colour to show off the colour of the bed frame?) but to get luminosity, if required, might not well-chosen paint colour do just as well?

This concludes the voting of the Earlond jury, have a nice weekend!

Offered gently, though it reads heavy somehow... :-/

• Carolina
    6 years ago
    Hello, here are the votes from The Netherlands:
  • Carolina
    6 years ago
    But with different fabric on the chair
    Monica thanked Carolina
  • Carolina
    6 years ago
    I like this one too
    Monica thanked Carolina
  • Monica
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you Ro and Caro :) sweet of you both to weigh in. The bottom line is that I am not in love with any of the wallpaper choices, the Chambray one is worst in real life. It doesn't look as good as the photo and its very cream in a bad way. The trellis is my favourite out of the lot but I think will give me the more traditional look I am trying to steer away from? Interestingly number 6 is what the previous owners have left behind. I do not mind the texture of it and its nice an matt and I am thinking before I start stripping it off to have a go at apllying a semi translucent glaze over the top in a warm gray tone to see if I can create a bit of contrast. But again that sort of Tuscan paint effect might not be what I am after :( Paint would be so much easier and better but because there's wallpaper there already the walls underneath will need skimming. Feeling deflated because of the time restraints but I will have to pull my pants up and crack on with it.

• Monica
    Original Author
    6 years ago

What do we think of these options? Do you think going as dark as the fabric in the bed would look too depressing? The room faces south west?

• Monica
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• Carolina
    6 years ago
    Oh I like that!
    Monica thanked Carolina
  • Monica
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you Carolina, I think that's what it needs everything is on the yellow spectrum, needs a bit of contrast. This is an Arte paper will cost an arm and a leg but I am now desperate LOL will try the paint effect this weekend if not then I will order the paper. Unless someone finds me a better alternative before then LOL

• Ro Ro
    6 years ago

Yes, Monica, weave your magic over an area! It is worth a shot. I was wondering if there was a whole lot of prep work required under a wallpaper in the room - but did NOT realise the 'Tuscan' one was the existing paper!

Really like the darker colour behind the bed - which is where I am going now!

:-)

• Ro Ro
    6 years ago

How about the BorasTapeter Linen in Taupe Brown 5557?

You can see it better on their own website but I see it is also available on Wallpaper Direct at £30 a roll... Getting more samples I guess will take valuable time...

Monica thanked Ro Ro
  • minnie101
    6 years ago

Hi Monica. It's a shame about the chambray one :( I like the last one you've mocked up. What undertone does the grey in the bed have? On my screen it looks mole in one photo and olivey in another. Have you looked on John Lewis? They have a few nice ones. The 1st pic is designers guild Kyushu in charcoal. The 2nd looks really nice on screen, it's Osborne &little cordovan in taupe (they also do a pale taupe). Also like Ro's suggestion. I think you could make the cane chair look fab, would just check it's not too low or wide. I do like the chair and stool too but maybe the frame is too similar to the other pieces?

https://www.johnlewis.com/browse/home-garden/diy/wallpaper/plain-textured/_/N-d0eZ1z0ri64

Monica thanked minnie101
  • Monica
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Ro thanks for looking for me, I love the price of your choice better than mine. I keep thinking you might be right about the textured grasscloth but that's what I love so its hard to give up LOL (not a smart statement I know)

And Minnie, thank you for weighing in. Yes I have discounted the other chair as everything was getting too matchy, matchy. I think the size as will be ok but if its not, it can be used as an occasional chair and I could always get a stool for under the dressing table. I will check those wallpapers out thank you, as for the colour is definitely a mole type. The Fabric is an Anna French (kind of moire type but not with that very pronounced moire pattern) so the ochre and the taupe stripes are merged together.

• Monica
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ok I did it !!! I spent £500 on the Arte paper without even seeing it :O on the room that should have just been done on a shoe string. I am hoping and praying that it will work and won't be too far off and if I have to send it back I will just buy lining paper and paint that. Positive thoughts until it arrives :) Oh and I got the cane chair for £10. Hope your weekends are fabulous <3

• minnie101
    6 years ago

Lol! Sending lots of positive thoughts your way! Bargain re the chair, would be great to see the finished product

Monica thanked minnie101
  • Ro Ro
    6 years ago

Monica, one thing I do know:

You will think about things deeply for some time, adding things to the pot, taking things out of the pot ...and then with all the input absorbed, your informed feelings will unerringly guide you to the right thing - and the end product will be superb!

And I do hope and wish that the work you have ahead of you will be without glitches and glide along smoothly. <3

Monica thanked Ro Ro
  • Monica
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you sweet ladies :) Its always the same, agonising over every decision over and over. Then, once its all done it will be like Ahhh. ... The trouble is I wish I didn't leave things till the very last minute but with my crazy job schedule I need to wait for quiet periods and its starting to ease off now.

We rebuilt my studio early this year, and the process nearly finished me off LOL

Well the room is now stripped, coving and ceiling rose going up today, decorator will paint the ceiling for us ( I wanted him to have the whole job but he was booked up until feb next year), I can gloss then the paper WILL hopefully go up. I have been playing with layouts looks a bit snug LOL

I have a couple of options and I have been rethinking the painted bedsides, in the old house we had this bed with a pair of mirrored plain side tables which are now residing in the other spare bedroom. I could shift them back again and re finish the painted ones to go back in 2nd spare room. This will give me a break from the painted overload look, plus the mirror will pick up the sparkle in the chandelier.

I think there's no contest that layout one will win, I prefer to see the full bed as I enter a room but do you think there will be enough room between foot of the bed and table? each square is 10cm room is 3.30 by 3 m.

• Ro Ro
    6 years ago

Mmm, Monica, looks like a plan!

Is the bed in the centre of the long wall? Every time I try to count up the squares I touch the screen and the pic disappears LOL

Asking as the bed doesn't appear to be central to the long wall? Wondering - if this is the case - is it the position of the door that inhibits the dressing table from being centre and everything else that follows? But, yes indeed, best position!

Hey - I can feel your mojo powering up from here!

LOL my middle name is lastminute.com!

...Says she - browsing the internet on the day she was going to get the Christmas Cake and Pudding done!!

Monica thanked Ro Ro
  • Ro Ro
    6 years ago

Monica, isn't it your fourth Christmas in the house? The one where we all had 'such fun' wasn't that Christmas 2014? As we hadn't left the UK when all that took place - or am I now completely barmy as well as all the other things!!!?

• Monica
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sorry Ro, no I didn't centralised it, but it shouldn't make make much difference as the gap would would still be same ?? We have about 80 cm gap to get past the table and round the bed.

And you are absolutely correct it is our 4th Christmas, even though we only been in three years in September , my bad sending you in a spin <3

• Ro Ro
    6 years ago

Doesn't time just fly when you are refurbishing?!

It just bugged me if the bed and beside tables weren't symmetrical against that wall (that I now realise is not the longer wall!) and with the dressing table too! You know, I forgot to say: I think 80cm is absobloominglutely fine. Plus you are thinking of popping a little seat that will go right under the dressing table. AOK.

Monica thanked Ro Ro
  • Monica
    Original Author
    6 years ago

OH MY GIDDY AUNT !!!!! The paper just arrived aaaaaand .......

• Carolina
    6 years ago

It looks perfect on the roll, but behind the bed it looks a bit colder than the stripe in the bed? But I think the texture is gorgeous and can't say whether it works or not colourwise.

Monica thanked Carolina
  • Carolina
    6 years ago

Having said that, it does look pretty good to me in the more close up photo behind the bed

Monica thanked Carolina
  • Monica
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you Caro, the true colour of it is the roll picture, this is the reason I posted that pics as well as I saw it looked very dark on others. Its dreary here and I had to climb over stuff to get those shots LOL. To my eye the colour is perfect, it is identical to the taupe/grey in the fabric and I am really pleased. Love the texture of it and I think that if I use the painted sidetables I could hang some pretty no frame mirrors above them or if I use the mirrored side tables I will add some cream painted mirrors as the paper can take a bit of layering. I can sleep tonight LOL

• Carolina
    6 years ago
    Perfect!
  • Monica
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi everyone, hope your weekends were good. Makeover on the bargain chair has started and its already looking better. I think I am going to be happy just adding some shading to the joints instead giving it the full makeover I first thought it needed. Needs a few more layers but I love the look already. Rug to distract from the naff fabric. I might just add a smaller piece of sheepskin over it quite like the texture, what do you think ?? bad idea?

• Carolina
    6 years ago

No, good idea! Love the sheepskin in combination with the natural cane.

Perhaps more draping it instead of tucking it? If that works?

Monica thanked Carolina
  • Ro Ro
    6 years ago

Monica, you were so right with the wallpaper! Well done! Actually , I quite like the dark of it behind the bed. And, yes,the close-up of it in the roll is, of course, good.

You do push my boundaries - which can only be good - but I can't (yet!) see the sheepskin as looking good on the cane chair or even in the room at all! ...But I wait for another epiphany light bulb! ;-))

If I am really honest, now I see the wallpaper and bed together I am leaning towards the conventional idea of painting the cane chair grey.... There, I've outed myself! ...I'm boring! And maybe the sheepskin would 'work' (for me) better on a grey chair...

Monica thanked Ro Ro
  • Monica
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you Caro, yeah probably casually draped over would work better. Its too big of a pice for it I was only trying it out.

And Ro, its funny I get epiphanies with decor all of the time. I understand what you mean about painting the chair but the reason I got this one was to get away from all the painted look. Everything in there would be painted so that's a bit much. However I have a few options I could go and as soon as the paper is up we can start debating :) Cannot wait, hope you are both enjoying this manic but so special time of the year. Hugs xx

• Monica
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Hi ladies, well wallpaper is up on three walks only waiting fir plumber to come so that we can finish off the window wall.
    What do you think of this rug? I struggled with colours it’s a lighter gray that tones well with the paper and I like that it picks up on the yellow as well but not sure if the chevron is too modern?
  • Monica
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I also ordered this as an option.
  • Ro Ro
    6 years ago

Hello Monica! Well, I really like the chevron - particularly on the short sides where the border is. I guess a final decision has been made on that dilemma by now! Late arrival of our third grandson yesterday has been very preoccupying and so heartwarming.

Monica thanked Ro Ro
  • Monica
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi everyone I am well aware that I haven’t updated you on this room but as it’s often the case things didn’t go according to plan. Everything was in place and we were ready for the bed to go together, only to found that when the removal guys took our bed apart they broke one of the bolts into the frame. So we had to admit defeat and buy a bed base until we can have someone look at it. I need to tweak it a bit more, change the lamps even but for now its ready for business. Thank you for all your help along the way.
    Wishing you all a Happy Christmas and a joy filled time ❤️

• PRO
    OnePlan
    6 years ago
    It looks lovely Monica !have a wonderful Christmas !! Lots of love ! X
    Monica thanked OnePlan
  • Carolina
    6 years ago

It looks absolutely wonderful! Your guests will be well impressed and will no doubt feel very welcome! Hope you'll have a lovely Christmas :-)

Monica thanked Carolina
  • Monica
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you ladies, its getting tested on the 26 for two nights, then again on the 30th for another two. Rock on !!! lol

• Ro Ro
    6 years ago

A success! Well done. I am sure your guests will enjoy this room. Happy New Year, y'all! ☘️

Monica thanked Ro Ro
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.