juliernorris

Insulation for the ground floor question

Julie Norris
6 years ago

Hi there,

We have just bought a rural 3 bedroom detached bungalow, in need of modernisation.... estate agent speak for, you cant move in.

We have recruited a planning and building consultant as we have plans for the layout and loft conversion.

However, my question is about the floor. We have a suspended uninsulated floor in the property, mainly floorboards (its 1960's) unsure of the void below, but its over 1ft. Obviously we need to insulate this as its bloody freezing, but also we would like under floor heating at least in the kitchen/dining/family room and probably also the hallway. So what is the best way, then what is the most cost effective way to make this happen. Interested to hear whether we celotex/concrete fill.

As a side note, we need a new heating system and a partial rewire anyway. Also we are off gas, so we have Oil or Propane to consider as Renewable heat will cost too much initially, which is a huge shame as we have 2 acres of land to play with.

Thanks for reading,

Julie

Comments (4)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.