joseph_s_jones01

Bedroom layout dilema

Joseph Jones
9 November, 2017

Hi houzz community,

I'm moving into my new house at the end of the month, it's unfurnished and I'll be buying furnishings from scratch.

I'm trying to make my bedroom layout work, attached is a photo of what I think might be a good layout for the room. The only issue is that it means the bed's headboard will be against the windows and radiators.

I'm not sure how problematic this is and whether you have any alternative layouts suggestions please? The furniture sizes are correct/representative but the design isn't, it's just what was in the software.

Thanks,

Joseph

• Daisy England
    I personally don't like headboards against the window or radiator. Could the bed be positioned on the right hand wall as we are looking at the image?
    Joseph Jones thanked Daisy England
  • Sonal Tripathi

If the door into the room does not obstruct, you can place the bed along that wall... could the cupboard be fitted next to what I'm assuming is a fireplace? That way it'll face the bed and look more roomy.

Joseph Jones thanked Sonal Tripathi
  • Joseph Jones

Do you mean something like this? I think it does look better actually. Although I might need to drop a bedside table so that the door opens. The cupboard won't fit either side of the chimney, the chest of drawers might but it's unsure without finer measurements (will be tight) so have placed there just in case).

• Sonal Tripathi

Yes something like that...as long as there is room to walk around the bed, the cupboard should be fine there? And yes the drawers can go next to the fireplace if fits, rather than jutting out in the front.. Again depending on the space, you could put the bed against the wall where the cupboard is and move the cupboard to where the bed is now.

Joseph Jones thanked Sonal Tripathi
  • Joseph Jones

This is the bed along the right wall...

• Joseph Jones

I'm not sure if there's a consensus on which layout is better :)?

Oliver's Kitchens and Bedrooms

Hi. I would not choose hinged wardrobe doors at all. The room is too small. You mentioned all the pieces of furniture will be purchased? Why not look at sliding doors? This will give you more solutions for the layout. If you are set for hinged doors you may consider what will be stored inside, will you need draws? Maybe two wardrobes either side of the bed with hanging storage above the bed? Feel free to check Bedrooms ideas on my website for some ideas. Good luck with your project.

Joseph Jones thanked Oliver's Kitchens and Bedrooms
  • Joseph Jones

Thank you I’ll definitely take a look and am open to ideas

Room by Room (Midlands) Ltd

are you able to provide the depth and width of the chimney breast ?

• Joseph Jones

Not currently, I'm going to visit the house on Sunday and will measure it then.

• Daisy England
    Ah, I didn't realise that was a chimney breast. Thought it was some furniture that could be moved.
    As said sliding doors is space saving.
  • Jen P

As you are buying everything new, I would aim for the second layout you posted, but measure up and have a wardrobe and chest of drawers on either side of the chimney breast (or built in). Plus get small bedside tables so the door can open.