tufty007

Cottage layout dilemma (Photos and videos)

J Tufty
6 years ago

Hi all

Ive just bought a place thats a complete renovation job. It needs new flooring, bathroom, kitchen (likely roof) etc...

It used to be 2 cottages which have been converted into 1 and a staircase run up through the center. Heres the current floorplan: http://79.170.44.76/progress-dev.com/floor-plan.jpg

The existing bathroom is too small (2m x 2m), and the ensuite is positioned oddly where the toilet is directly in front of a big window by the road. The road is raised so this window is almost ground level. (no privacy!)

Im looking for ideas on how to improve on this plan.

Ensuite:
I would like 1 ensuite, but not in the room where it currently is (or atleast not in the front window!). I could remove that ensuite and knock down the wall and the light from the big window would flood the stairwell which would look great. But Id have to find somewhere to fit an ensuite in one of the other rooms.

Bathroom:
This is too small. Where the bathroom currently is I could make that as an ensuite to bedroom 3, but then Id have to find somewhere to fit a bathroom (maybe divide Bedroom 1?)

Ground floor lounges:
What do people usually do with 2 cottages thats been made to 1? They dont have 2 lounges do they? Maybe a lounge and a snug?

Ground floor kitchen/dining room:
I think I would put a utility room (with downstairs toilet) on the left of the kitchen. Then have an open plan kitchen/dining room.

Because the house is on a busy road, I would probably have the side entrance (porch) as the main entrance. Does that make sense? You would walk into the dining room. At the moment you walk through the front and faced with stairs with lounges either side. Maybe its best to keep it as is?

To give you an idea of what Im working with, here are some videos. They are taken in sequence walking in from side porch: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ynbkfpgp5yq5vku/AACEu38gU2F77ny6vQZhfjQja?dl=0

Any thoughts/ideas would be greatly appreciated! :)

Comments (4)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.