info95646

My tiles spoilt my bathroom

Joy Anderson
6 years ago

I decided to treat my mum to a walk in bath and a new bathroom. I bought this tile from Topps tiles. The sample looked like this link. Cappuccino silk. The sample and the picture look fab but my bathroom looks pretty gross at the moment.

Thisis how my bathroom looks now. The tiles are very brown, unlike the sample, and they've made the bathroom look really heavy. Its quite depressing. I could see it was too dark but I just kept hoping it would come out like the picture. I also live miles away from the shops and I could see change was not going to be easy as the company had fixed the date with me and it would have caused mayhem.

I feel more depressed every day. What can I do to make it look better. I wrote to Topps and complained. I said the tiles should have been the same as the sample, they are nothing like the samples in the shop. All ideas would be welcome. I was told bigger tiles made the bathroom look bigger but I think they look too heavy for the space. Do you think it will look ok once the lights and grouting is done.

The builder has done an excellent job, he has worked so hard but I can't even bear to look at it :-( Ideas and counselling very welcome thanks. My life's savings and I feel quite sick. I don't usually get these things wrong, I usually do everything in white and natural wood, because I know that usually looks good. This is the most expensive mistake I have ever made. My mum loved the sample tile and the picture but hates the way the bathroom looks now. We are all feeling very upset and I feel somehow it was all my fault I should have stopped the build but its easier said than done.

Comments (117)

• SouthCoast84
    6 years ago
    I've bought some mosaic split face tiles from Topp Tiles and they were meant to be a beige oyster colour like the sample but they are sparkly grey. So instead of a warm wall it's going to look cold. Also, sparkly, ugh!

They've been lying in their boxes and I suspect they are past their return date and I was just going to accept that and put them up but now i think I will do as you found out and lay them all out over the floor. I spent a lot on them and should get what I paid for, even if it requires putting up a fight.

i'm so sorry this has happened to you Joy. I found choosing the tiles in the first place stressful as its so hard to envisage what they will end up like.

i also bought some porcelain tiles for the patio and now that we are laying them I hate the colour. Obviously I viewed the physical tile in the shop but its impossible to know what they will look like all laid out. However, we went with the tile that was featured in their brochure and looked gorgeous all laid out in the brochure but horrible outside on my patio.

i really believe that Topp Tiles are over photoshopping their pictures.
  • Joy Anderson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi South Coast, I feel your pain. I was really shocked at the disparity with my tiles and for 3 weeks I hated them. I was lucky that the grout seems to have really lifted them and I am so relieved. The room is beginning to look like something I can live with although not what I would have chosen. Grout has improved the look beyond what I imagined.

However, I feel personally its not acceptable that the sample should be so different to the actual tile. As you haven't laid your tiles and you aren't happy I would definitely take them back because you are on strong ground if you haven't used them, see what the return date is. However as it was pointed out to me once you've used them, then you've compromised your position and I don't think I'm going to get anywhere.

I too have realised there is a lot more to tiling than it first seems. I started looking at bathrooms to get some ideas to resurrect my project and I hadn't noticed how most bathrooms are broken up with paint or complementary tiles and that gave a much softer look. Its too late for me now but next time, if ever I do this again, I will spend a few months looking at websites and get some ideas about breaking up the space. I will also get the tiles some time in advance and lay them out because they do look different on mass compared to one tile. It happens sometimes with the colour of paint but it is much easier to correct it if its just a wrong colour.

As far as your tiles outside goes, I had some limestone tiles put down in my garden years ago and they looked so bright I was shocked but after a few months they got weathered and started to look natural and also the sun fades the colour as well so they don't stay the same colour, so don't be too alarmed they get better over time.

I hope that makes you feel a bit better. I would start by ringing the shop and explain your predicament with the mosaics and see where you get to. I wish you luck I know that sickening feeling but I got so much encouragement and advice on this thread, it helped me to get through because it is a terrible feeling. Can you post some photos and see what advice your get from the professionals. If they won't change them post a picture because some of the designers here may be able to advise you on different ways you can use them to give them a warmer look.

Take care Joy

• Related Discussions

Make my bathroom beautiful....!

Q

Comments (12)
    So, a few thoughts on the bathroom. Sorry, it's a bit of a read, but I have tried to keep it as short as possible ;) 1. I would not choose to spray paint the fixings/armatures, mainly as it would not work (or if, be costly), but also because spraying them gold would make your bathroom even more yellow-y; the cool silver tone of the fixings actually sets off the beige somewhat. So what I think you'd want to do is counterbalance the yellow with another colour, as someone else pointed out. This could be in the realm of blue, as it's complimentary to yellow and will balance it. But I think you could also balance the beige-y-ness with more white (or cream), as found in the ceiling. Which leads to the 2nd question. You could have some paneling put round the bath, there are aqua panels and suchlike, but I would advise make sure a really good tradesperson does the job, so you get it expertly done. It does not hurt to get some estimates and opinions in, to get an idea of what it would cost you. This also leads onto - 3. as it really depends on your budget, how much you change in the bathroom. If you are planning long-term, I'd say it's better to spend a bit more and do a proper makeover, but if the expense would not be justified, stick to a few amendmends to make it comfortable for the time being. You could think about changing the bath for a walk-in shower, for instance and have the floor re-tiled, or finished with another material in a light colour, which would free up space and also balance out the surrounding beige. This way you could also have more storage beside the sink area. If you don't want to loose the bath, you could just have the floor done, I'd say that tiling would be prefereable to painting it - or you could lay vinyl or some other flooring; either of the flooring choices should not be massively expensive, as it is only a small area. 4. Handles can be changed, but I could also suggest changing the whole unit. You could also swap the mirror cabinet for a wall-hung mirror, which would alleviate the awkwardness at the sink (I've seen that so many times!) and instead hang a bathroom cupboard next to it - possibly also open shelving. 5. As to 5. that depends what you'd want to use it for and would require a bit more in-depth analysis. 6. See 1. I would recommend very light, neutral colours, accented by some lush green plants - they always make everything look nicer! But it also depends on your personal taste and what colours you like. As mentioned before, blues and teals would work well, look for something cool in tone to counterbalance the warm beige, but also trust your gut feeling if you see something you like the look/feel of, as it will probably be right for you! So much for now, I hope this helps a bit. Good luck and feel free to get back to me if you have further questions :)
    ...See More

How to clean my bathroom matt floor tiles?

Q

Comments (8)
    Thanks for your reply. I got in touch with the company I bought those tiles from and they advise me to use a matt sealer on the tiles. They recommended this one https://www.tonsoftiles.co.uk/ltp-mattstone-1l.html. Also they said I need to use a special washing liquid for the floor. The tiles are beautiful but require special care. Hopefully we will all be pleased with the final result. Thanks again!
    ...See More

Can i make my bathroom tiles work?

Q

Comments (10)
    Hi Sam! We have fitted flush plates on textured tiles before. The issue mentioned is basically that, as it isn't flat, there would be small gaps around the flush plate where it doesn't sit flush on the tile. However, it's not really a 'wet' area so doesn't need to be completely sealed. It's not in a shower or a wet room, for example. Every fitter has their own opinion though, I just know I haven't let it influence my designs too much and we design with as much practicality as we do aesthetics - we want our clients to love using their bathroom! Perhaps you could show us the tile? Thanks! - Adam
    ...See More

Where should the tiles stop in my en-suite bathroom?

Q

Comments (2)
    Here's a photo of the space as it looks at the moment! The vaulted ceiling is another reason why I don't want to tile the entire room - it would be an awful lot of tiles to go right to the ceiling!
    ...See More
  • Mark Riches
    6 years ago
    Hi. We have those tiles in two bathrooms in our house and they look fabulous.

I think you are having a mid build panic (I’ve had a few). Assuming you are having white bathroom furniture it will naturally brighten things.

We have a light cream grout - yours is dark. You won’t believe the difference changing the grout makes. As you are really worried I’d go white.

Once you put down floor tiles I’d lay a skirting board too. And I’d paint that white. That all adds lightness.

Making sure your lighting is right will also help.

Those tiles haven’t worked well in my floor. They’ve cracked. So I’d stay away from them. In the other bathroom with these tiles we’ve laid wood effect tiles that are darker. That seems to work bizarrely well.

Photos attached.

Don’t worry. Minor tweaks and it’ll be fine.
    Joy Anderson thanked Mark Riches
  • Joy Anderson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hallo Mark thank you so much for your message. Your bathroom looks FAB. The photos that you saw were before it was grouted and the builder started grouting today in antique white and it totally changed it and I'm so relieved. We had to put down non slip tiles and the choices were ivory or grey. We haven't grouted the floor yet I was going to go jasmine but the builder talked me into doing a darker grout on the floor, I think it will work ok as it will pick out the brown in the walls and he's kept the grout lines thin. The grout has made a huge difference it has really softened it, it looked a bit grim before and I hated it. The lights should be switched on tomorrow and the final touches next week. It is improving every day and I will upload a photo once it's finished. Thanks for your encouragement today was a turning point and it suddenly transformed with the grout. The tiles looked so busy but now they seem to look a lot more subtle. I'm hoping some chrome accessories and a few plants will bring it to life.

• Emily
    6 years ago
    I would put a mirror in as big as you can fit as well. And I’ve put antique mirrors in bathrooms before and they’ve been fine so I wouldn’t worry about them having to be bathroom mirrors.
    And Marks bathrooms look fab! Although not sure about skirting boards, but then I hate skirting full stop so take no notice of me!
    Joy Anderson thanked Emily
  • Lena
    6 years ago
    Dear Joy Anderson, I’m sure many people can sympathise with your situation being your mum’s full carer.

There are so many bad things in life, and your tiles problem seems to be smaller comparing with health issues of people needing surgery etc. Did you have a perfect picture in mind, while the reality is not living up to it?

But it’s still a work in progress.

The tiles really do look stylish when looking at others’ pictures. I hope you (and your mum) will grow to like them.
    Joy Anderson thanked Lena
  • Joy Anderson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you Emily and Lena. Since the tiles have been grouted, its taken away that grim look. It looked a bit dark and busy but I have to say the grout has made a huge difference.

There is still a bit to do so it still has a bit of a cold look about it but I'm hoping a few plants and candles etc will bring a bit of warmth to it. I got out some before photos last night and it is vastly improved.

My mum started to get all nostalgic about the old bathroom so I said I think you are seeing something different to whats there and I showed her and she agreed it did look pretty crap so we have some progress!!! My anxieties were I was going to be punished forever more for destroying my stepdad's very outdated handy work!!! A crime only punishable by death or constant guilt-tripping, which is even worse ... lol.

I still have a sense of humour and have learned a lot. This thread should be a warning to others to check out their tiles before the builders are on -site and look at lots of bathrooms to see how to break them up. If I was starting over I would probably leave one wall plaster but the upside is it will keep a lot cleaner and less maintenance this way, plus they hide all the pipes.

• PRO
    MAKING THE WORLD BEAUTIFUL
    6 years ago

Hi Joy!

We imagine it should be a bummer to see different results from what you expected. But don't worry! Even darker shades can be turned into something very cosy and relaxing. You can start with playing a bit the lighting. Change the lightbulbs for the higher voltage ones- it will actually give more light to the room, therefore, it will look a lot lighter.

Accessories always help us to enrich interior and make it look completely different. For example, you can try large round mirror with a copper frame to highlight the creamy look of the bathroom but at the same time give a more rich and sophisticated look.

Finally, simple things like family pictures, candles or even live flowers can bring a dark and boring bathroom back to live and turn into your own little spa!

You can have a look at some of our bathrooms by visiting our gallery

http://www.makingworldbeautiful.com/portfolio

and you will see that classical white bathroom is definitely not a rule!

We wish you the best results!

making world beautiful

Joy Anderson thanked MAKING THE WORLD BEAUTIFUL
  • Emily
    6 years ago
    South coast,
    Oyster and sparkle slate are definitely different and not normal variation! But I’ve had split face dark slate before and loved it but I remember considering the Oyster and actually the amber type one since they’re beautiful too.
  • Joy Anderson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Help mistake no 2. The lights went on today and I was really disappointed. They are cold white and it looks very ice cold. I've asked the electrician to change them to warm white which I'd assumed they would be. He said he would but wasn't sure that warm white would be able to be used with the extractor fan and dimmer switch will have to wait till next week to find out.

The other mistake was we put in 6 lights. When I did my old bathroom they were halogen lights, I had no idea the leds would be so bright even with the dimmer it looks very harsh. Just when I thought I might be able to pull this together I feel there has been another catastrophe.

Is it possible to take out 2 lights and patch the ceiling or is this past the point of no return.

I have done so many little building projects in my life but never have I got so many things wrong and spent so much money. Its quite depressing.

• A S
    6 years ago
    Don't let lighting set you back; experiment and see what works. I initially suggested the cool white to counter the very warm brown colour but a slightly warmer bulb may be the answer.

I must admit, LED 's are quite bright in contrast to halogen; Could you post an image? I'm unsure why your electrician may be unable to replace the bulbs for warm white.

All the very best!!!
    Joy Anderson thanked A S
  • Mark Riches
    6 years ago
    Hi Joy.

Glad the grout makes it look better. The good news is that I’ve messed up in lighting with halogens and Leds many times too.

Bright / cold white never works in my experience - should always be warm.

There are different strength led lights so if they are too bright rather than remove two you can usually swap them all for warm and for lower strength (ie less lumens or lower watt equivalence).

The issue about a tractor suggests that they are wired onto same circuit as lighting. That’s where it gets a bit difficult but dropping down the watt equivalence shouldn’t make too much difference I’d have thought. (I’m not an electrician though).

What type of leds are they? Led bulbs in standard mount or are they semi permanent. The semi permanent ones can be expensive to replace.

There is definitely a solution. Keep asking.

Good luck Mark
    Joy Anderson thanked Mark Riches
  • Joy Anderson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Mark

I've asked for the electrician to change them and also put in a lower wattage. I'm thinking of taking 2 out after Christmas and plugging the hole, however, it may not be necessary if the lower wattage work. The builders are from a mobility company and they don't consult me which is frustrating - if it comes to it I will resolve it in the new year. I feel happier now I know there are options and the electrician was making out I was stuck with them .... hmmm

Love the support here many thanks

Joy

• Julie C
    6 years ago

The sale of goods act states that if you purchase goods based on a sample then the goods must be similar to the sample. If not you are entitled to a refund. Not sure how it stands now that they are on the wall but maybe they will still give a refund. Doesn’t get you the money back on the tiler though

• ruthfrench
    6 years ago

This has been an incredible thread. Thank you Joy for your honesty. Your Mum is very lucky to have you. Your bathroom sounds as if it is heading in the right direction. Mirror(s), towels and a few accessories will force the tiles into the background. I hope it works well too as a disabled facility. Have a lovely Christmas!

Joy Anderson thanked ruthfrench
  • Kazza None
    6 years ago
    I'm waiting eagerly to see the finished product. It's one of the only decent threads on houzz at the moment!
  • Joy Anderson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here are 2 photos. Its still not finished but it should be tomorrow. I don't like it - it looks so dreary and cold, its really disappointing I don't know if anything can improve it.

It just looks so dull and unwelcoming, help. :-) The worst mistake of my life.

• User
    6 years ago
    It looks fine. It looks lovely and fresh and new. It just looks different to what you originally imagined. Once you have added accessories in colour, it will look great.
    Joy Anderson thanked User
  • User
    6 years ago
    Add some accessories like this and it will lool great.
  • User
    6 years ago
    Also if you have a picture of what it looked like before, we can all see how lovely and fresh it looks with new tiles and suite. You might even surprise yourself with actually how much it has improved. We are doing a full house renovation and along the way there are always disappointments and it's surprising how quickly we forgive and be so glad for how nice everything actually is.
    Joy Anderson thanked User
  • Sarah Lockhart
    6 years ago

I think it's looking ok Joy? Not how you imagined but new and fresh. I think like the others have said get some accessories and maybe a blind to give it some colour and personality?

Joy Anderson thanked Sarah Lockhart
  • Emily
    6 years ago
    I looked at your photos and straight away thought some greenery would look good. Then saw Gertywertys photoshop and loved the fresh green! Maybe a picture very green bright colour landscape picture above the toilet?
    But these are just finishing touches, the actual bathroom looks great quality and stylish. So actually you did a great job!
  • Emily
    6 years ago
    And btw, I didn’t say anything but last week I rang Topps tiles customer services and said I know I’m being a busybody with too much time on my hands but that there was a discussion on here which they should check out and that some compromise might help the customer and also show Topps in a good light since the photo of the tiles side by side were very different. They said thanks and that they would but doesn’t seem that they did.
    But, even so Joy, your finished bathroom looks good!!
  • Joy Anderson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you for your lovely comments. I found a picture tonight which looks similar to how I imagined it would look. This looks so much softer, I guess the print on the tiles is what makes mine look so busy. I should have probably done a white floor and I was wondering about a brown blind but I have a feeling it won't look like this it might look too harsh.

• Joy Anderson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Or even this one

They are similar tiles and yet they look stunning.

• User
    6 years ago
    Joy - bathroom looks great.

Just needs softening now. I would bring in an oversized plant in the corner, sitting in rattan type pot for texture. The fluffy bath at, towels, fabric blind and accessories. Will be lovely. Pale teal would really pop.

Good luck and please share more photos as you progress.
  • gemm_thomas
    6 years ago
    I think your bathroom will look lovely Joy. Also think you made the right choices with the floor as white would have looked very stark (and shown every mark!) whereas yours tones nicely with the tiles. You've done a lovely thing for your mum and I'm sure once you've added the finishing touches that others have suggested it'll look fab.
  • Yasmin Y
    6 years ago
    Joy, also think it looks nice! You have nothing to worry about. At the end of the day, I think it’s easy to look at all the beautiful photos in Houzz and get caught up in the idea that your house should look like a magazine. But unfortunately we don’t live in a perfect world and there will always be parts of a renovation that don’t go to plan (I’m in the middle of my own nightmare right now!).

You will be ok - once it’s all in and you have some personal touches, it will look lovely.
    Joy Anderson thanked Yasmin Y
  • ghesp
    6 years ago

What lighting do you have in there? From the looks of the reflections, you just have a single light. Get the builders to redo the lighting in there with some focused task lighting and downlights.

It'll make a huge difference

Joy Anderson thanked ghesp
  • Joy Anderson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I've got 6 downlights. They are on a dimmer switch. I don't know if they are warm or cool cause the company can't tell me and I've asked them to change to warm white if they are cool white. When they are dim they look grungy and when they are full they are too sharp. I have asked for them to come back and do something but they said the electrician is no longer available. (Nightmare). They also said I can't change them as they are units, not bulbs. It's infuriating when you haven't been included in the discussion. Now I'm wondering if I should take out 2 lights to make more shadows and get the holes filled up if poss. I think the lighting is very harsh and again felt so disappointed. What is focused task lighting? Thanks Ghesp.

• ghesp
    6 years ago
    If they're sealed units, then there probably closer to a warm white. The easiest way to tell if just to look at them. If they're a bit yellow like the old halogens, then they're warm white. if they look white, they're cool white.

task lighting just means light focused on a specific area such as the sink, however you've mentioned you have 6 downlights so that shouldn't be an issue.
  • ghesp
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I can't edit my post, so..

Don't be disheartened. Once the flooring is down and the grout it in, it'll make a big difference, especially once all the building equipment is out.

if it's any consolation, our ensuite is smaller, with roughly the same colour tiles, mixed with darker ones and it is fine.

PS: this was done by the previous owner's. the tiles aren't straight and then trims are too big

• Rose Williams
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I find "white" lights so oppressive, especially with modern LED's, they seem to suck all colour and warmth out of everything, I would'nt want to brush my teeth under white instead of warm white, feels so un-natural, would give me a headache.... definitely check what you have

Joy Anderson thanked Rose Williams
  • ruthfrench
    6 years ago

Joy, is it possible for you to go shopping for towels etc with a friend? Can your mother be left? It seems to me that going out with a friend to look for bits and pieces would be good for you. If there is nowhere near, have a look on the internet. To check colours you can always buy a face cloth. There are lovely sap green, teal and turquoise towels available at very reasonable prices, all of which would look good in your bathroom. Maybe your family could buy them for you and your mother for Christmas if money is tight? Get a bath mat as well as towels, good to stand on if nothing else.

Looking at your ‘ideal’ photographs, I found myself thinking that they were much bigger rooms than yours that had been professionally lit for the photos. Set your dimmer stitch where it is best for you.

I can wonder if your bathroom has become a metaphor for the struggle you are living day to day. Talk to someone, ask for a hug and have a good cry. You will look back on this time with gratitude, however hard it is just now. You are a nice lady who has made many friends. Let us see the finished space.

Joy Anderson thanked ruthfrench
  • Joy Anderson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ruthfrench, what lovely kind words and you are right, caring is a continual struggle and trying to do a building renovation as well, there isn't much room for any imagination.

I am pleased to say the builder came back today and grouted the floor and put cork around the edges, all these things are beginning to give it a softer look. I hope it will be finished this week, I've lost the plot after 5 weeks of builders and a very disabled lady - my mum is getting excited about having a bath and hasn't mentioned the tiles today so this is a good sign. I'm looking forward to buying some towels and plants, I think that will make it look more homely.

Thanks everyone, you've no idea how your comments have helped. I know its just a bathroom but its also my life savings and a big responsibility when it's not your house. I really wanted it to be a really special room for my mum, and I'm hoping with all your advice it still will be.

• moiraford
    6 years ago
    Hi Joy, I think it looks lovely. My new bathroom is very similar and I had the same doubts as you. So I painted the ceiling emerald green, added plants and a huge toucan!!!
    Joy Anderson thanked moiraford
  • Joy Anderson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oh wow that's radical!

• denise7125
    6 years ago
    Hi thought I would stick my two penny’s worth in! I think it’s going to look fab when it’s finished. Hold your nerve, choose bright accessories and blind and enjoy it rather than get upset about it. If you’ve got some spare cash and you’ve got recessed ceiling lights you could consider getting Philips Hue bulbs. You need the bridge and Wi-fi but you can then put bulbs in which you can set to any colour any shade or just get white bulbs that can be set to any shade of white. I have them all over my house including my kitchen ceiling and they are brilliant. That may resolve your lighting issue. http://www2.meethue.com. Watch the video. You can get them at John Lewis, online at amazon etc. Good luck
    Joy Anderson thanked denise7125
  • Joy Anderson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

oh lovely thank you x

• Joy Anderson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi all the builders disappeared for 2 weeks and I've had to scream and shout to get them back. Finally a result today, they are coming back on Monday to finish.

We turned the door round as the access I since discovered was illegal because the door opened in and had my mum had an accident she would have been trapped in the bathroom. We turned the door round at the end now the tiles and everything doesn't fit properly and it looks a bit crap.

Don't you think the surveyor should have worked all this out??? We've had numerous discussions about the lights now I've stared at them for quite a while I think one of the problems is the spacing and they are too close to the middle of the room rather than going out to the edges and opening it out more. I'm not sure I should go for less lights or less wattage, it is way too bright at the moment.

It feels there is so much fundamentally wrong with it, plumbing, pump fitted incorrectly, lights, of course, the tiles (but that's not the company's fault) they were talking about having to start again to get the project right and asked me if that is what I want.

I thought as painful as it is that might be the best solution, somehow it's just not flowing, then I could at least tone down the tiles. I have told them they need to compromise now and get it working so we have a bathroom for christmas but I have also said they need to start again as everything they do now is trying to cover up something bad. I don't know if they will agree or not.

This has been a horrible experience. What would you do? Do you think I should let them start again next year or move on?

• moiraford
    6 years ago
    I’m
  • Joy Anderson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Dear Emily

I just had an email from Topps Tiles this morning regarding the tiles. They ignored my first complaint telling me that batches are different and kind of get over yourself. However, I received an email today telling they were coming for a site visit tomorrow. I'm sure your letter to them has prompted a response so thank you ever so much. I will keep you posted. The builders were supposed to come back today but no one came but I' guessing that's the weather. It's so stressful not knowing if we've got a bathroom or not for Christmas. Sigh how I wish I'd never started this.

• Sonia
    6 years ago
    Do not lose heart Joy, that sounds very promising. Well done Emily!
    Joy Anderson thanked Sonia
  • wilmet45
    6 years ago
    I think it looks lovely! It's not cold at all- it is a nice warm colour, not heavy and dark. I think one the floor is grouted, it is all tidied up, and you have added a mirror, a window treatment, a vase, a plant ( even an artificial plant, IKEA do some great ones) - bath mat and some towels- perhaps a nice teal blue- it will look even better than you thought. It's a nice clean, warm space now- money well spent.
    Joy Anderson thanked wilmet45
  • Joy Anderson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Feeling really desperate. Builders were supposed to be coming tomorrow but guess what they called tonight and the electrician has got 'bronchitis'. I now have a bathroom almost complete but not fit for purpose. 5 weeks overdue. Well past caring about the tiles, I have a disabled mother and 12 people coming for Christmas and no bathroom. Mum in a high state of anxiety as its christmas coming. I feel really really desperate. This company has all the following accreditations Trustmark, Which Check a Trader, Trusted Trader, CHAS, Construction Line, Alcamus safe contractor, CQMS and you know what it doesn't make a blind bit of difference. How can a mobility company treat an elderly person like this and get away with it??? It's probably 2 days work at most. How do these people sleep at night???

• wilmet45
    6 years ago
    Oh dear, I really feel for you! However, as the mother in law of a builder/ plumber, I can sympathise with your tradesmen too. It can be hard to find a replacement electrician at short notice, especially this time of year when tradesmen are busy. I'm sure you wouldn't want anyone to come to work when they are ill. Your bathroom is nearly there, this is just a blip, there is still plenty of time to finish it before Christmas.
    Joy Anderson thanked wilmet45
  • Joy Anderson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi all guess what the bathroom still isn't finished but I put some accessories in it and it is already looking quite different. The photo doesn't do it justice it looks better in real life. It looks quite pleasing to the eye. Unfortunately I have bigger problems than how it looks.

Do any plumbers know if this shower is access compliant? It has no cut-out or thermostat. You have to control the shower with the bath taps so there is a high risk of scalding. Considering this is a specialist company for mobility I find this pretty shocking. You can't shut off the water other than the taps. Also the temperature fluctuates as there is no thermostat.

This is the pipework and electrics below does anyone know if this is legal? See how near the pipes are to the cables??? It seems a bit precarious to me. I am worried about the cables getting hot or wet.

Thanks everyone for your support and wish you all a Happy Christmas.

• Emily
    6 years ago
    Joy I must have missed your news that Topps contacted you! Glad my poke me old nose in might’ve helped.
    Sorry though, have no idea about the plumbing side. Hope it is all okay though. Surely a proper universal access firm wouldn’t mess it up? Really hope not.
  • Joy Anderson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I sent a photo to Trustmark and they said from the photo it doesn't look compliant. Someone is coming down after Christmas to check if its a fire risk or not. What a nightmare. 6 weeks and no bathroom - kind of beyond caring about the tiles now :-(

• Rose Williams
    6 years ago

Oh my goodness, I'm feeling for you. I would say a potential fire risk is more urgent than lethargically saying will look sometime after Christmas. Unfortunately, you are not the only one to discover that there is no real control over any industry, .. the company may have paid for accreditation and filled out forms to say they are trusted, but that doesnt stop them subcontracting anyone who hasnt got a clue or care to do the actual work does it.
    I hope you find someone to get it sorted so you can use it for now.. then give that company the bill for it as a new years present. You really shouldnt be left with any doubts around the safety of installations like this.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.