rose_williams31

Christmas Dining room... emergency warmth and window dressing

Rose Williams
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Still mid renovation (18 months after moving in). My husband has decided he is making a 600 mile round trip to fetch his parents for Christmas!

Thankfully, we DO have a nice spare room for them, and most of the place they will have to cope (especially the bathroom). Ah well, it's 5th December and I have not a stitch of decoration up and that is NOT me... I go all out... baubles and mistletoe to bang your head on everywhere when I have my way.

Upshot is, this is the room I am onto a mad rush with... nice thing is I can go MAD with grotto-ing it out as all temporary thus repairs are no consequence. What is happening here is the door/window to the bottom of the stairwell only just got installed last week, AND the loft hatch relocated to where the stairs will be, AND the only reason no decorations are out is because the other half is threatening to finally fill the house with brick dust by cutting that door to the far right.

All is in hand though, Ive nearly finished plastering, the floor will be levelled, the hatch will have architrave in the next couple of days, granite top on the half wall poished up, paint slapped on..... what I dont want to do is skimp on the window dressing, the floor can be bare, the skirting stays off, but the main Christmas celebrations are happening right here.

I'm struggling with how to dress the window. The one thing it needs is a little warmth and I'm keen to get the long term window dressing made. The room is open to the lounge, that has ceiling to floor curtains in the material posted, and the dark wood dining table has chairs upholstered in a leatherette ultraviolet purple and black seat.

The curtains need to accommodate (or be easily adjusted to accommodate) the bottom of a stair case in the end, a hallway, not a dining room. The gap to the left between the window and wall is very very small so a nightmare for hanging a curtain pole. To the right of the window will be a tall radiator, and the window sill is a good 30cm deep.

You may say don't curtain it, but right now, the neighbours can see in, and if there is ONE thing I want to resolve, it's this issue of 2 level window covering.

Comments (22)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.