maxine_monks27

Transforming small reception into a snug

Max M
6 years ago
Hello, this is my first post so please forgive any poor etiquette! I have recently moved to a Victorian property & would really welcome advice on how to turn our second (small) reception room into a tv/snug.

- Fireplace: it’s a pretty ugly 1930s one which isn’t in keeping with the rest of the house so we are going replace it. We are open to ideas - possibly cast iron Victorian or wood burner, or maybe just bare brick with lots of candles, but whatever the option it will need to be kept quite low (see next point re TV) and may not use it as a real fire (quite a small room for an open fire & we will put a functioning fireplace in the main reception room). Any thoughts or recommendations on fireplace options?

- TV: yes, it’s huge. My partners pride & joy. Current plan is to hang on chimney breast, above fireplace (hence needs to be low) chase the wires & install surround sound. We are keen on dark colours for the wall (possible F&B Hague Blue) so hopefully that should somewhat help the TV blend in... any thoughts on hanging the tv and wall colours?

- Alcoves: existing furniture is all temporary. We are quite stumped on how to decorate the alcoves because, as you can see the ‘alcove’ on the left hand side is very shallow & is right next to a window & radiator. We had a carpenter round to discuss options (possibly install low cabinet & somehow incorporate radiator cover?) but I am quite visual so keen to see a sketch/diagram before we invest in custom built furniture. Plus I remain concerned about boxing away the radiator. Alternative is to put free standing items (eg a trunk/chest below and floating shelves above). I have also seen glass fronted free standing cabinets that I liked (I will post the pic if I find it). These would offer storage & symmetry but may be too imposing in a small space?

Re window dressing - we are having shutters installed in a few weeks so ignore the temporary blind! And for lighting I quite like the idea of a spider chandelier with Edison bulbs.

Room is SW facing, 3.6m x 3.3m (see floorplan for more detail).

Thanks so much in advance! Happy decorating!

Comments (15)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.