rachelleplantagenet

Need help choosing external colour- anything but cream!

I live in a cul de sac of duplex's where everyone has painted their houses boring cream, eggshell, light yellow, off-white, white or very very very light blue. Although i do actually like cream i dont want my place to look exactly like every other place on the block and i would also like to somehow draw the eye away from the grey blocks and flat roof which are not very appealling atm! Please help me creative houzzers! xx p.s my neighbours are painting their side too.

• Rachelle Plantagenet
    Thank you so much. It is really stressful- i don't think i could ever be a designer because of the fear of getting it wrong! The door and windows are pvc- there is no 'trim' to paint because it's pvc. I found a pic of a grey house with white windows with a terracotta roof but the people commenting on it were bagging it out a bit- what do you think do you think it works?
  • Rachelle Plantagenet
    here is the pic of the light grey house with terracotta roof
  • Rachelle Plantagenet
    Do you think that warm autumn/grey driveway paving would help blend everything?
  • mefor
    Here's your colors together, I pulled two terracotta colors since I don't know what the exact match would be
  • handymam
    I actually do think the color in that pic works rachelle. It has a very slight red tint to it.
  • mefor
    I think it works very well, here's the underseas color if you liked it for house or door
  • mefor
    Can you show us an example of driveway idea? It sounds nice, if its not too busy
  • Rachelle Plantagenet
    Here are the driveway blocks i was thinking about. The first one is a style called "classico" and the colour is "autumn mix", the second and third are a style called "alpha antique" and are also "autumn mix" and "silver haze". I could have the drive autumn mix and edges in silver haze or vice versa. The drive will go up to the door but have a small garden in front of the "blue" window - because it slopes slightly down so legally i either have to have a garden or a drain for the water to run off into.
  • mefor
    I think it would be very nice, I love the idea of edging it with contrast. How did you like the color swatches that I put together for easy viewing?
  • mefor
    Also, you should leave windows alone for now. Paint everything else and if the windows don't look quite right, then look into the paint that is made for PVC. It's made to stick to that type of surface, so you can change white to cream if need be.
  • mefor
    You'll need to get a sample of pavers to get a good match for terracotta.
  • Rachelle Plantagenet
    mforr, could you please clarify where you think i should paint cream? I can't do the windows or door cream :( I hope that it will be fine with white.
  • Rachelle Plantagenet
    Oh sorry, i wrote my message and then saw yours after! :)
  • mefor
    No worries, rachelle!!
  • Rachelle Plantagenet
    The colour swatches look really nice! I think i may like the lighter grey in your swatches better than the coastal plain now as it will probably work okay with white.
  • mefor
    I didn't give you a lighter grey, those are coastal plain and underseas. You're talking about the swatches 11 posts ago? With the terracotta and the cream?
    Galileo Construction Inc.
    Bonjour, Have a look at Benjamin Moore Storm (AF-700) and add some shutters of the same color on the window of the stone wall
  • Rachelle Plantagenet
    mforr, sorry i thought it was lighter- it is the coast plain afterall. Looks great, i think the colour swatches are fantastic but im not sure if the cream is achievable but will see at the end. Re: driveway - do you think the majority should be the warmer autumn and outside border grey or vice versa? At the moment im thinking the autumn colour for the majority but perhaps the grey would tone everything down?
  • mefor
    Go for it, autumn would be great for majority. Plus, getting the grey to match your stone area would be too hard for such a large area. In just a border, the gray would work fine.
  • Rachelle Plantagenet
    Sorry to bug you again, do you have any good suggestions on a house sign design and where i should place it on my house? We don't have house numbers over here they are just named. I was thinking a rectangular sign in granite above the door or an funny eclectic cut one (like a non-standard pentagon shape) to place to the right of the door?
  • mefor
    I like the idea, definitely to the right of door, not too high if you're getting the pergola. How about a rectangle with notched corners?
  • mefor
  • mefor
    Here's a whole bunch, including one from Frank Zappa's house because I liked the mustache!!
  • mefor
    More
  • mefor
    Rachelle, what's the name of your house?
  • mefor
    Would you consider one mounted or carved into a small boulder in the lawn area?
  • mefor
    Perhaps next to your"quality tree swing"? Love that idea for housewarming gift! :)
  • Rachelle Plantagenet
    It's "Orana" - which is quite a small name! The sign which you displayed with the name 'the old malthouse' is kindof what i meant by an eclectic shape but with straighter sides and it would be put slightly below and to the right of the right white light? I've got a feeling it won't look that great until the pergola (which was going to be white but now I'm confused! lol) goes up :)
  • mefor
    I liked the shape of that one too, that's why I asked about the small boulder/large rock idea, I thought maybe on the stone of house you wouldn't see it enough to appreciate how cool it looks.
  • Rachelle Plantagenet
    Small boulder would be great but a sign would be easier to get. Yes i am going to get one of those swings for my backyard (perhaps ostensibly as a birthday gift for one of my children ;).
  • mefor
    Like this, or carved right into it
  • mefor
    Ok, crossed posts. No boulder :)
  • mefor
    Rachelle, do you park in front of blue tinted window or just in spots to the left(in picture)?
  • Rachelle Plantagenet
    I usually park in front of the window -especially if i have loads to bring inside.
  • mefor
    I had thought maybe this idea too, with the house sign mounted on front or carved into granite one. The horse troughs look like open coffins all lined up like that, but I like the idea of planting in them. Would be lovely to have plants under the window. But perhaps not enough room unless you're driving a smart car? The wooden ones would have to be painted or stained.
  • mefor
    More
  • mefor
    I'll admit the granite is very pricey, especially for me with current exchange rate!!
  • mefor
    Maybe a window box
  • Rachelle Plantagenet
    Thanks for these great ideas. House sign placement is hard on my house. Do you still think the pergola should be cream if the windows are white? Or just make it all white and see how it looks?
  • mefor
    Is the pergola going to be wood or vinyl? If its vinyl just do everything in white. If its wood, I think the cream would be a softer look. Could you post a closer picture of one of the windows? Maybe one in the non stone. Part of house. You may be able to just paint the lower sill piece or if there's a recess around window, paint that and leave the actual sash alone. I really need a closer view if possible
  • Rachelle Plantagenet
    I haven't looked into pergolas yet but i imagine wood. Under the windows is just a piece of pvc (which wouldn't be as difficult to paint as the entire window) it would be a nice little contrast if it was and then matching a cream pergola? I will get a pic up of it soon.
  • mefor
    Sounds good! :)
  • mefor
    Hi Rachelle, wondering how its going with your plans? are your neighbors on board with your tentative choices? Look forward to hearing updates, good luck :)
  • Rachelle Plantagenet
    ....and my neighbours want to stick with cream- Sheesh! Oh well *sigh* there's no better crowd pleaser than cream ;-)
  • mefor
    Oh, Rachelle, I'm so sorry, after all your research and planning and bravery!! Well, there's is nothing wrong with cream, but I completely understand how you wanted to climb out of that box of one colored crayons, lol. It is what it is, I do hope that you'll be able to build your pergola and I also hope you can introduce a bit of color with your door, this color is from sherwin Williams, it's SW 6480 lagoon, it would be beautiful with a cream house color and a terracotta roof. Good luck, and I'd love to see your final result, please post a picture at the end of project. And I'm glad you're upbeat and looking at the "sunny side" :)
    Rachelle Plantagenet thanked mefor
  • heisekr
    Take a look at BW Gettysburg Gray. My designer just helped me select it for stone that matches yours very closely. You could play with the colors that are close to the green grays. Ivory trim would be nice with a set of gray shutters. I think a pergola would add nice dimension.
  • mefor
    Hi Rachelle, don't know if you're checking back here anymore, or if you have finished your project, just wanted to pass along some info:

Dulux equivalent to lagoon color I posted above would be in the sea urchin family of colors

Homebase equivalent would be Aegean

Hope all is well and you're having a lovely summer :)
    Ensign Accessories
    Grey - to match the remaining outside. Would look stunning - there are so many shades to choose from these days.
  • Amber
    Gosh so many responses to your plight. Haven't got time to read them all so sorry if I'm repeating ideas. Try printing the house picture out and use crayons etc to change the colour. This can you give you an idea of what looks good. Also have you thought of putting weatherboard on your entrance extension to cover up the grey brick , this I think would give the house a really nice individual style. Good luck. X
    .