discountflooringdepot

Creating a warm and inviting home this Christmas

Discount Flooring Depot
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Have you embraced Christmas yet? It’s hard to escape at the minute, and if you haven’t already started your Christmas decorating at home, you’ll need to get on it pretty quickly. Whether you’re having a quiet Christmas or expecting lots of visitors and guests over the festive period, you’ll want to create a warm and inviting home. Thankfully, there are lots of ways to achieve this. Here’s our best tips for transforming your home into a cosy wonderland you’ll never want to leave.

Adding a Christmas tree

What home would be complete at Christmas without a tree covered in fairy lights and decorations? Most of us will opt to put at least one up this year, and whether it’s real or artificial, it’s a great start to adding that cosy festive feel to your home. Normally, adding a tree requires some furniture to be shifted around in your living space to make it fit, so don’t forget to add felt pads to the bottom of your tree stand and furniture before you move anything across the floor, to prevent any scratches or damage to your wooden floor.

Welcoming guests to your home

It’s traditional that family and friends call round to see each other at this time of year, so create a warm and inviting entrance to your home with outside decorations, lights and perhaps even a traditional Christmas wreath on your front door. Don’t forget to add a mat to the front door step too – otherwise you’ll end up with dirt or snow being walked in over your beautiful wooden floor in the hallway.

Rustic cabin-feel to your décor

There’s something very peaceful about the thought of staying in a remote log cabin with the snow falling outside, but for most of us we’ll be staying put at home this Christmas. That’s not to say that you can’t add this rustic-feel to your home décor though. Start with a traditional wooden floor in rustic oak, and layer it with thick deep pile cream or white rugs. Accessorize your home with lots of greenery and pinecones (also great for adding to wicker baskets as a centre piece too this Christmas!) Add some logs to the fire, grab some thick knit blankets and light some candles for a warm and inviting cabin-feel living space.

Protecting your floor this Christmas

A real Christmas tree is hard to beat, but it can cause havoc for your floors. Make sure you sweep up fallen pine needles every day so they don’t get embedded in your carpet or between floor boards and if you notice any sap on the floors try to clean it up straight away. The same applies to glitter from wrapping paper or new glittery Christmas clothes – the longer you leave it, the more it will end up everywhere. Many of us will enjoy lighting a few cinnamon-scented candles this Christmas but be careful you don’t allow any wax to drip on your wooden floors. If you notice any wax, leave it to set and get hard before you lift it off – it’s much easier than trying to wipe up a sticky, waxy mess.

Comment

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.