sonia_rosua_clyne

1930 Semi renovation - kitchen under stairs?

Sonia RC
6 years ago

Hi everyone,

After spending hours - nay, DAYS - planning how to give the house I'm planning on buying a broken plan renovation, I think I'm at the point where I'm ready to share it with you and hear your thoughts.

First, here's the house: https://www.zoopla.co.uk/property-history/1-greystoke-crescent/whitefield/manchester/m45-7un/33681080

I'm wanting to have a bigger kitchen since I love to cook, but don't want to extend. I'm Spanish so I'm used to airy, light houses so I need to have sliding doors and lots of windows! Broken plan seems to be the right approach for us to give continuity without having to hear all the banging around in the kitchen when watching TV. The one thing I'm unsure about is how easy it is to have a larger kitchen under the stairs once we've knocked through from the hall to eliminate that ghastly galley kitchen from my nightmares. Any thoughts on this?

Here's the plan:

1- Island

2-Have the kitchen be a bit under the stairs

3 - new Partition wall to block the sound

4 - Sliding doors

And here we have some visuals:

As you come in through the door, straight through into the living room with stairs on the left.

Gas fire and TV mounted on the chimney breast with cabinets in the alcoves:

We continue to walk round through to a small seating area (island appearing on the left), sliding doors looking out onto patio:

Continuing to turn, we reach the kitchen with the island. The top left section of this would be integrated under the stairs - this is the part I'm not too sure about. Anybody had experience with this?

View from the outside, through the patio doors of the full ground floor.

Would love some feedback or any of your experiences if you considered this layout or is you have it...how is it working for you?

Comments (7)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.