jodie_lomax

Wanting to extend above single garage - help and advice

Jo L
6 years ago

Good afternoon, and a Happy New Year.

We are soon to be moving into our new home and we are hoping to extend over the garage/utility to create a master bedroom with en-suite. The current owners have recently renovated the house, taking the back of the garage to create the utility and extending the kitchen back into what used to be the utility (the current owner is a builder). He is confident the foundations and skin of the wall is good to extend over and has already installed the wiring and pipe work ready? Anyway, his original plan was to use bedroom 3 as the opening to the new master suite creating an L-shape room - this would mean it remains a 3 bed house. I do not want to do this, I want to know if a door way could be created at the top of the stairs on the landing, so that we can keep bedroom 3 as bedroom 4 - I am aware this would create a long-narrow room but I envisage the en-suite being next to the main bedroom as I believe this is where the plumbing is located. Can any one offer any advice on whether this sounds realistic, feasible? My guestimation as that the extension would be roughly 2.3m x 6.10m (looking at the length of the bedroom 1 and 2 combined?

I have seem some lovely pro's offering design images of how the floor plan may look with the extension - this would be a massive help if this was at all available? Can anyone offer any estimations on cost of this, with a mid-range shower room and finished to decorating stage -assuming foundations are all good?

I would love to hear from others that have already undertaken this project? We are looking in BL2 in the North West.

Thank you so so much in advance.

Jodie

Comments (9)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.