james_townsend13

Make one bathroom smaller? Advice on bathrooms remodel

James T

Hi all and happy new year!

I'm looking to remodel the two bathrooms in my flat. I would like some advice/comments on an idea I have for the remodel.

I currently have an en-suite with basin, toilet and shower and a slightly larger bathroom that has a basin, toilet and bath. The bathrooms share a wall and all the waste pipes lead from a cavity into the rooms. My idea is to move this wall to make the en-suite bigger and the other bathroom smaller, turning it into a powder room. I would like a larger en-suite with a larger vanity space since this is my main bathroom and having a bath in the room that opens to the hall has never made sense to me and I don't really like it. I haven't used the bath yet but I'd like to and having to walk through the hall puts me off. It's basically used as a powder room now.

I've attached some rough floor plans to illustrate.

My questions are:

1. would this negatively affect the resale value? ( I'd still have two bathrooms but the shower and bath would be in the same room)
  2. Would this be feasible with how the waste pipes work? (Both toilets wastes running into the same cavity)
  3. I assume the water pipes for the bath and basin can be hidden in the new wall, is that right?

Excuse my ignorance on how the waste pipes work. It's my first home. I haven't been able to get any details from the management company, all I know is that there is a cavity in each bathroom with waste and water pipes. The cavity in the en-suite is slightly bigger, not sure why. It would be nice to make these smaller but I have no idea what's in there without removing the tiles and plasterboard. If anyone can shed some light on this I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.