jeanzbeanz

Building work budgeting

Gina Anderson
6 years ago
Hello all, on our third attempt we finally have planning permission so are now in earnest making plans to transform our rather dilapidated house into something more beautiful and practical!
Can anyone recommend a good source for a starting point for a renovation budget? I'm thinking in excel format or even just bullet points.
Obviously there are different costs for every project but if there is a starting point somewhere I can work from it would be great. I want to get a budget cost on everything from the actual build work right down to what extra furniture we will need to buy, and from there we can work out how much of the project we can do at a time!

Also, I have heard that you should set aside 10% as a contingency fund... is this realistic? Or if I budget in enough detail do I need to allow that much?

Looking forward to everyone's advice.

Comments (3)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.