thepleasurehome

Hiding a TV (above a Fireplace or just mounted on a wall)

The Pleasure Home
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We would welcome your voting preference on the wide range of solutions currently available for hiding a TV.

Leave the TV as is and use a Screen Saver!

Many TV manufacturers are now offering a high resolution screen saver when the TV is in standby mode. Combine this with the typical thin frames of modern TVs and they are reasonably discrete, although you can't miss the black screen when the TV is turned off!

Frame the TV

Use a local framing company to put a custom frame around your TV. You can then combine this "picture frame look" with the connection of something like an AppleTV to display high resolution paintings or photos on the screen when you're not using it as a TV. There is even a new FrameTV from Samsung that is designed to look exactly ike a picture frame!

Mirror TV

These are either dedicated "MirrorTVs" which are quite expensive, or you can bond a special swiss manufactured glass onto the face of the TV, which behaves like a mirror when the TV is turned off. There are two main finishes (with a wide range of variations in between) - "antique mirror" which is quite dark when the TV is turned off, but offers an excellent low amount of reflectivity when the TV is turned on and a "modern mirror" glass, which is almost the same as a real mirror, but relatively reflective, so requires the lighting in the room to be dimmed when viewing the TV.

TV with moving canvas Artwork

This is a motorised canvas, which rolls up out of view, when the TV is turned on. These systems fit over any size of modern slim TV.

TV hidden by Moving Panel

This is a motorised panel with the TV inset behind. The moving panel can be a painting or canvas but needs to be reasonably lightweight. Their are models that either move the panel vertically or horizontally. There are some quite complex, James Bond-style enhancements on this, such as The Smart Wall - link attached in green: The Smart Wall

Leave the TV as is and use a Screen Saver
Mirror TV
TV with moving canvas Artwork
TV hidden by Moving Panel
Frame the TV

Comments (5)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.