toria_jamieson

Pepping up bathroom - under sink cabinet, wood & paint/paper ideas pls

Toria J
6 years ago

I've recently moved into a rather outdated 'granny bungalow'. Though I'm not a granny, my Gran did live here. The bathroom was renovated for her with some council support, before she passed away many years ago.

I'm trying to update the bathroom, and add some storage solutions on a limited budget. I would love some ideas on resolving a few hiccups.

1. The sink. Eep.

Ideally, I'd replace it but beneath the tiles, the walls are chipboard and I believe this sink was the only one they could find enough purchase for. (It's not screwed on through the normal holes - they've had to use some clip arrangement.) That's also an expense I'd like to avoid.

I'd prefer to hide the pipes with an under sink/basin cabinet. However, I've looked at IKEA, Argos, B&M, etc, and nothing pre-made fits - mostly too short (600mm) and finish before the waste (650). I'd also need to cut away the sides because of the boxed-in pipework (150mm). A taller unit with longer legs (to cut the rear off) may work though.

Measurements (if you are interested):

My other idea was to get hold of a couple of narrow (H720xW300xD290) kitchen wall units and turn them on their sides (making H600xW720xD290), cut out for the sink as best I could then add a worktop or tile the 'top' and sides to hide any errors/joins and to create some extra depth. The rear would rest on the boxed in bit, the front supported by base unit legs.

A friend has also suggested forgetting about a cabinet (there's room for a cupboard elsewhere) and just covering the pipes with a piece of flexible plastic. He hasn't said what plastic would do this though.

Any ideas?

2. As you can see in the above pic, the window frame is mahogany.

The door surround is light oak, but there is no other wood in the bathroom. The two woods look a bit odd. I can't do anything about the window.

The rest of the woodwork has been painted with either satin or gloss. Some white has spilled over onto the oak.

Should I paint the oak white?

Or should I rub the white off then stain it to match the window? What stain would do this?

3. The wallpaper. Definite old-lady vibes?

Stripping it off would be a nightmare, as this usually damages the chipboard underneath (I vaguely remember this happening years ago - most of the wallpaper in the house is textured to hide bumps).

My choices seem to be:

a) paint over it. It seems to be normal paper, not vinyl, so I'm hoping paint would take to it. Any recommendations of what to use please? The roses could need a few coats.

b) paper over it.

4. Colour scheme: the floor tiles are a moss/teal mix with grey grout. I was thinking of picking the teal out, but going lighter. The rest of the bathroom is tiled and the suite is white. Maybe picking out some of the moss elsewhere. I'm planning on painting the (currently rose) hallway a soft grey, and adding a green patterned rug on the oak flooring.

(Btw, I have the missing bit of tile - using it as a reference before I replace it.)

Really appreciate any thoughts you may have. Sorry if there's too much info!

Comments (10)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.