gavita_regunath

Sliding, Bi-Fold or Patio doors?

Gavita Regunath
6 years ago

Hi all,

We really need your help in trying to decide which would be best going forwards?

We are having a kitchen extension done and need to decide whether we go with either sliding, bi-fold or french patio doors.

Initially, we were decided on a 3 panel bi-fold (total of 2.4m width) doors, however we have been advised by our builder to reconsider this decision and to go with either a 2 door bi-fold or sliding doors instead. His reasoning behind it was that as the opening is only 2.4m and the doors would be obscuring a lot of the view into the garden. Also, the 3 door option would mean narrower panels, making access/egress more difficult. One other important point is that the doors will be our only access into the back garden.

Having done more research and reading the forums on Houzz, we now think we should re-consider our initial idea of going with bi-folds. This is because of the following, (1) the rear of the house is north-facing so will not benefit from sunshine all day, (2) we will not have a seamless access to the patio and garden (we will have to step down onto the patio flooring) and (3) the view of our rear garden is not great - see plan below.

Our house is a 1980's build and we are in a residential area surrounded by houses. We want doors:

1. That will not date
  2. Be in-keeping with the date/style of house
  3. To have maximum security (I believe some sliding door manufactures now have products meeting pas24? which we weren't aware of initially causing us to not consider sliding doors)
  4. Doors to be in aluminium to reduce warping
  5. Easy access into the back garden

Given the above, which ones would you go for?

Thank you for your help!

Sliding doors
Bi-fold doors
French doors

Comments (6)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.