mrjcgoodwin

Insulating a damp bathroom that already has exterior render?

Guy Incognito
6 years ago

Hi all, looking for some advice.

Our Victorian mid-terrace has a problem with condensation in the downstairs bathroom. It's a solid wall brick extension (30s/40s?) so the walls get icy cold in Winter and it is impossible to heat. The cold walls (on 2 sides) mean we suffer heavily from shower steam condensing, ruing the decor and causing mould.

I'm exploring options for insulating and improving the room. Ideally I'd like to use internal insulation because it's cheaper than external insulation and we could install it ourselves - even if it means going back to brick.

I was looking at replacing the extractor with a more powerful model, then lining the walls with waterproof insulated tile backer boards, with floor-to-ceiling tiles to the face.

However I've been told by a friend that we should be careful as the exterior of the walls are completely rendered and we risk trapping moisture by not allowing the walls to breathe.

Is this advice correct or can we somehow safely insulate the bathroom internally? I think that external insulation is going to be out of our price range as it is not a DIY job.

Comments (4)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.