jonathan_sanders39

Cambridgeshire build costs

Jonathan Sanders

Hi, I am looking into significantly extending a 1950's semi-detached bungalow in a village south of Cambridge. I just wondered if anyone could advise on some indicative build costs for such an extension. I appreciate there are many many variables which will affect the cost however at this stage I am weighing up the option to move house or extend. I would consider both a conventional brick extension to match the current materials or a timber framed approach.

We currently have almost of 60m2 GIA and I am exploring the opportunity to build a single storey extension that would extend to the rear and to a small part around the side. It would end up providing over 50m2 of GIFA at the end of it. I will also consider rearranging the current layout to fit with the extension.

A couple of images below show the plot with the existing buildings and the current floor plan (albeit I have bricked up the external kitchen door and installed a galley kitchen). Measurements on the layout are taken from the sales brochure so will not be entirely accurate.

Really I am just after some indicative figures to use. A simple pound per sqm rate will be good starting point for my calculations. I have initially used £1,300 per sqm, but feel that this is light, when based on a round 50sqm of additional space that is £65k. Any advice or comparable information would be much appreciated.

Happy to provide more images/details as required. Dare I mention I am contemplating a loft conversion just to complicate things.

Regards

Jonny

I would work in £1500 per sq m. If you are happy with the total cost of that I would then turn to a creative professional to help you to explore the options. A concept planner or designer will help you examine what you need from your extended house and to explore the flow of the space. Once you have explored the creative side then you need to get technical people to look at the ideas- This may be just a builder if the plan is simple but it may well be an architect.
    Most likely an architectural technician will prepare plans to planning permission but given you are in a rural area, planning may be complicated. If any of your neighbours suggest they have had difficulty getting planning it may be worth instructing a local architect at the beginning to guide you about what the local planners will and won’t allow. This route may be more expensive but may be necessary.
    Lastly if you want any creative input lots of people will have opinions on Houzz.
    User

Agree with Jonathan. The average is £1500-£2000 depending on finishes.

If you are going to greatly extend a property, it's best to employ either an architect or concept planner. After all, you may wish to take advantage of great views of a garden for instance. This would mean changing the bedrooms from the rear of the property to the front ( depending on road noise / distance from a road etc ). Thus you could potentially have a kitchen / Diner / lounge towards the rear.

• Jonathan Sanders

Thank you both Jonathan and MATH, I did think it was light. I will proceed with some concept designs and see where I get too. I will upload the ideas when I have them. I welcome comments.

• Ali Nikoo

I would recon the cost is 1500 per/square if you finish with average quality of finishes, and £1750 for top quality finishes , material also is what I consider to be at top quality. I work with experience Architecture and he has done a project in Central London , a restaurant extension and it looks good. He is post graduate , if you have more pictures of the plan send me to speak to him, I also work with supplier , they supply designer quality furniture from different part of the world , it all can be a package for you, much easier to handle, if you need help get in touch with me please. thesoletrader@mail.com , the Architecture do the design and layout for you, the supplier arrange the material and build the extension as he has more work experience and internal works carry out by us, and we give you a package price. hope it help you.

• User 1
    Having almost finished a living area extension of around 60 m2 I would say definitely allow 2K per m2. You have to remember that finishes quite often include some existing floor area too. For instance, we are opening up into existing living area so we have to replace flooring for 120 m2....not just the extension. coving and plastering is for the whole area too...as with skirting etc. the list goes on and on!!!
    Jonathan Sanders thanked User 1
  • User 1
    Also should mentioned....the type of openings you have will significantly impact the cost. If you have standard windows or UPVC doors the cost will be low, go for large sliding or bifold in aluminium or timber and you are talking a lot of money!! We have just had 9m of bifold installed...not regretting it but it was a huge chunk of our budget!
    Jonathan Sanders thanked User 1
  • Jonathan Sanders

Thank you for your input, my proposed budget is now looking somewhat larger. Now to weigh up the option of extending significantly or moving....

BetterSpace: The Floor Plan Experts

Hi Jonathan. An average building cost for additions to existing buildings is between £1200 to £1600 per square meter. A-50 square meter addition could thus cost up to £80000 in building and material costs.

From my experience, you could save a lot of money by being well organised - preparing itineraries and lists of all the items you need. This will allow you to shop around for special offers and communicate clearly to your builder which will eliminate waste and prevent costly mistakes. Your builder would appreciate it as well! You can also save on professional services, such as on your architect. Check out our website ( betterspace.co ) for more info and I'll be more than happy to advise you further. Good luck, Ed

Nest Estimating Ltd
    last year

Hi Jon, we can provide you with a budget cost estimate for this project. The budget cost estimate provides a detailed breakdown of works and expenses as well as highlighting potential areas where you can save money. We use average local labour rates too. If this is something of interest please send the plans and photos to hello@nestestimating.co.uk and we can provide you with a quote

• Jonathan Sanders
    last year

Hi, we have since moved home, however I know the new owners are continuing with a slightly revised extension via an updated planning application.