sam_potter37

mantle shelf or not?

Sam Potter
6 years ago
Hi guys, I'm midway through opening up the living room fireplace. It will be exposed brick all the way up to the cornice, and have an open fire grate in the hole, with no fire surround, just bare brick. The fireplace will have a brass fender with a green leather seat. I love exposed brick , and hanker after the improvised fireplaces of my squatting and caravan dwelling youth. Punk's not dead btw. My dilemma is about having a mantle shelf. Aesthetically they don't seem to 'go' , and break up the column of red brick with a disruptive horizontal. But am I missing a trick? Do I need a shelf to balance the fender and provide a focal point for vases, candlesticks, artwork etc? Images below are various stages of work in progress.

Comments (16)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.