beth_pearson72

Bathroom flooring - Victorian style tiles, but cheap!

B P
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello, I need some thoughts on bathroom flooring please. We live in an Edwardian / Arts & Crafts house and our style is fairly traditional. We're in the process of designing a new main bathroom, and have a pretty tight budget. The room will (once finished) have the window reinstated to its original size (it's been halved at some point by previous owners) as a sash with clear glass and there's also a small window in the shower with privacy glass.

The wall by the shower in the pic below is coming out, and a traditional freestanding bath (white, with black feet - it's this one https://www.bathstore.com/products/cambridge-bath-with-traditional-cast-iron-feet-1496.html) will go under the window. Big plants will go on either side of the bath 'framing' the window too.

I'm tending towards basic white metro tiles around the walls to halfway. My issue is flooring. I don't think we can afford underfloor heating, so I was previously thinking about vinyl. But... our front porch is chequered Victorian black and white tiles, and I love the idea of doing something that nods towards this (I'd seen these http://www.toppstiles.co.uk/tprod42207/victorian-black-white-chequer-tile.html), but we are on a tight budget and this seems like it'll be pricier than other options to buy and perhaps more expensive to lay. I'm also concerned that it might look too busy and could feel horribly cold underfoot.

Has anyone used victorian tiles in their bathroom (and found a cheap way of doing this)? Are you pleased?

Or any big votes for vinyl, or what have you got in a traditional-style bathroom? Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Pic below shows new layout - ignore the bath / toilet / shower precise style, they're just for reference.

Pic below - new layout aerial view.

Comments (12)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.