subjectmatterart

How to live with your art tips

Subject Matter
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Consider the environment of the art

Different rooms will speak to you in different ways, and the art will reflect this. You also need to be practical: save an unprotected painting for a reception room and choose a framed print or photograph for the kitchen, safe behind glass!

Hang it with care

Use soft gloves and use sturdy nails and make sure the hanging mechanism can take the weight of the piece. When hanging a single piece on a wall the centre of the picture should be about 60 inches off the ground, which places it at eye level.

Give it the light it deserves

Natural light will always show off an art-piece the best but correctly chosen artificial lighting can make a big difference too.

Challenge your comfort zone

Art does not have to colour match your interior! Contrast and juxtaposition can enhance the room and make the piece sing, otherwise it could just blend into the space and 'disappear'.

Go big!

Large pieces look fantastic on the wall and can even work in smaller rooms too as long as they aren't too overwhelming.

Create a personal gallery

You can turn your wall space into a collection of personal items, such as photographs and memorabilia - and don't be afraid to mix different artistic mediums.

Swap your pieces around

It is amazing how different an art-piece can look in a different room setting. Take the piece that was in your bedroom and try it in your living room. Play curator in your home.

Tell the world about your new art purchase

People should be inspired to buy art! The more art we buy, the more artists can make a successful living. Tell your friends, family, post on social media, scream it from the roof tops if you want...

Contact the artist

Tell the artist how the piece makes your heart sing. You will be surprised how seldom this happens, but what a difference this makes to an artist. You will make their day.

We welcome a friendly chat so don’t hesitate to get in touch: hello@subjectmatterart.com

Comment

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.