eventmistress

Hepplewhite or Chippendale?

eventmistress
10 years ago
I found these at a yard sale this past weekend and plan on getting them reupholstered. Can anyone help me identify the style of chair please?

Comments (50)

• Judy M
    10 years ago
    Shield back chairs.
  • Annie Smith
    10 years ago
    Hepplewhite, I think.
  • eventmistress
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you both. I really have no idea and am making up style names after an intense Google search.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Love them, great find! Hepplewhite from the Federal Period.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Maybe you might be able to save money by upholstering DIY. No sewing, Just new seat batting, fabric and a staple gun. I suggest a bit of a stretch in the fabric to get a smooth look. Makes it easier. If no stretch, take your time and pull very taught. Fabulous chairs!
  • eventmistress
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    There's this great table that goes with them but it's upside down. We need to find a replacement leaf for the table and are open for suggestions.
  • eventmistress
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks LB we really are newbies and don't want to ruin the chairs but also don't have a budget. We just couldn't resist the impressive chairs as we drove by.
  • anne dee
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Hey Eventmistress, I see you are shopping for that beautiful house Victorian/early American farmhouse (has a definite era been determined) you and some of us houzzers were discussing a few months back.
    Nice find re the chairs posted above. You seemed interested in the history of your finds so I've posted a site where
    you can read some info about the chairs.
    I hope I am not being presumptuous :)
    http://antiques.about.com/od/furniture/a/Hepplewhite120109.htm
  • eventmistress
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Anne Dee thank you for the link! We are in the American Victorian Farmhouse Vernacular and it's great! I figured we would get settled before tackling too many projects. Between dodging boxes and seeing how the house lives we haven't been able to do anything. I've only been able to follow Timmy's Girl's story for Houzz fun and inspiration. :)
  • eventmistress
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    One more thing we haven't determined a period but know that we will bridge the new with the old. I'd like to honor history but stay contemporary.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    You're welcome. You will probably have to have a leaf custom made as the apron trim of the table, it may have some detail design.

If you will be only using the leaf for large dinner parties, you could have one made to fit the mechanism. that is not an exact match to the apron trim. Will cost you less if it's designed simpler. Can't see the edge design of the table. Actually the apron has a simple design shape!
  • eventmistress
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    LB here's the edge. We were thinking of something simple so we could host family dinners. It might mean custom table cloths or a sewing machine is in our future.
  • PRO
    Standrin
    10 years ago
    Just saw this disscusion , your chairs are definately Hepplewhite shield back style. Some of the English versions have a wheatsheaf motif carved on the back upright splat. There was also a version with the Prince of Wales feathers carved onto the back splat. Good luck with the re-upholstery.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    I think a woodworker could easily almost duplicate the design. It looks mahogany or walnut. Use the same wood and stain. A wide piece for the body and add two similar molding trims top and bottom. The molding doesn't have to be exact. It just needs to be the same width and close in style.
  • eventmistress
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks Standrin we need the luck!
  • User
    10 years ago
    Beautiful chairs and table, a great find! Solid mahogany, they don't make them like that anymore unless you're willing to pay the big bucks. These classic pieces can blend with many different styles.

You can re-cover those seats yourself with a staple gun like LB Interiors said. I've done it many times. You can probably find instructions on You Tube.
    The secret is to start with a couple of staples in the middle of one side, then do the same on the opposing side, pulling taught and checking for pattern placement, then the next side and its opposing side. Then carefully work your way out to the corners rotating the seat and pulling taught. Make sure you turn the outside corner to the back, the same way on both sides. Cut your fabric big enough to turn under so the raw edge is not exposed on the bottom of the seat. It will make a more finished edge and won't unravel. If your fabric has a repeat, be sure to buy extra so each seat is placed centered on the pattern in the exact place so the seats will all match.

Good luck!
  • eventmistress
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Great idea LB we might need to tap into our resources. We know someone who has a great wood shop in town. Your post makes it seem like such a possibility. We had assumed we would have to cover the leaf. We might be able to create something with a great design to complement the table.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    I'm quite sure you can and I'm for saving money!!
  • eventmistress
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks Bluenan we nearly caused an accident when we decided to stop and not drive by the chairs. I have a lot to learn about antiquing and yard sales. I appreciate the advice!
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    You could make it special and have it be the highlight design of the table. I 'm not a fan of tablecoths, only for top protection for large gatherings. I usually use some beautiful placemats without a cloth. I buy extra to use on the table for the food. and of course, hot plates.

If you have a leaf made, you could leave the leaf (that's funny sounding) :)) ...in the table all the time. If you have the room. Prevents the need to find storage for it.
  • eventmistress
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    So many options! After taking a chairs, the bottom doesn't look anything like what I've seen on DIY or YouTube. There are finishing nails and not staples on the bottom.
  • User
    10 years ago
    I've taken fabric off of old chairs that have tacks, put on before staple guns were even invented! Get a dike tool and a thin flat head screw driver and do your best to get them all out.
  • eventmistress
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Bluenan I feel like I should practice before tackling this project. I wonder how much I would decrease the value of the chairs by diving in. Hmmm, I might need to find a fun practice project first.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    You won't hurt the chairs at all. You are only covering the seat and all the staples will be hidden. Most seats also have a black or white very thin fabric as the final touch. Check out others that you find when shopping. This fabric is cut a smaller size and stapled. But you don't have to use that if you can't see the fabric's edges once they are on the chairs.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    To practice, find an old tightly woven cloth and try it. Depends on the fabric you choose for stretchability.
  • User
    10 years ago
    You can always practice with a piece of scrap material and use a few staples. I've always either had to be resourceful, or just enjoyed an opportunity to re-purpose, recover or refinish pieces, and the way I've taught myself is to just dive in. You won't devalue the chairs, you'll enjoy them and feel pride in the work you've done. Changing a seat cover is something that can really make a big difference. You can do it!!
  • eventmistress
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Once I get up the nerve to try it I'll post pics. Right now I'm slightly afraid to touch the seats. The batting has disintegrated and I'm sure there might be something living inside.
  • handymam
    10 years ago
    I agree that recovering seats is a diy project, BUT for best results, use an electric stpler! The non electric can be very hard to use and very easy to get discouraged with. I love my electric one. Also, try a couple of sizes of staples depending on the fabric and wood. some go in easier than others. Good luck!
  • Judy M
    10 years ago
    You can buy new batting at a fabric store.

Or take the seats off and bring them to an upholstery store with your fabric and ask how much.

It really is an easy DIY, I just recovered a chair seat the other day. It does help to have two people, one to hold fabric, one to staple.
  • eventmistress
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks handymam and Judy. I might have felt more confident if the previous owner, who does her own reupholstering, didn't say seek professional help. I'm going to weigh my options...
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    You won't know if you can do it until you try! They are really expensive to have reupholstered considering it is just a seat cushion. Here it averages between $40. to $65 per seat.
  • eventmistress
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hmmm LB, my fear level just went down a few notches. I think I'll start testing out the practice techniques pronto! Maybe I'll just wear protective gear to remove the existing seats.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Good Idea!
  • handymam
    10 years ago
    Eventmistress, she said that because she just doesn't know that it is not that difficult! You can do it, really. And they really are helpful at the store if you bring in the seat. Just unscrew it, walk up to the counter and say HELP?
  • eventmistress
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Handymam I can do that for sure! Thanks for your encouragement. At the very least I know I can ask Houzzers for help. There are so many talented people here!
  • handymam
    10 years ago
    You will be surprised how easy it is!
  • Jayme H.
    10 years ago
    I really like these chairs! I have some very similar chairs..or at least on has the arms..the rest don't...didn't know what they were called.
  • eventmistress
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi all! Life got a little crazy, but I wanted to show you an after photo of the chairs.
  • 2dogssashatess
    10 years ago
    well done
    eventmistress thanked 2dogssashatess
  • cmrj
    10 years ago
    very nice. did you do them yourself? i have shield back chairs as well that need new seats.
    eventmistress thanked cmrj
  • eventmistress
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I had several false starts and then had to rely on the help of great friends. They had horse hair originally and need new seats cut. I still have the original seat bottoms which I might use as a decorative element. It wasn't an easy DIY job for a newbie.
  • cmrj
    10 years ago
    eventmistress, thanks for the tip, it will help when i attempt to do mine. Enjoy them, you did a great job for a "newbie" :)
    eventmistress thanked cmrj
  • anne dee
    10 years ago
    Well Done!
    eventmistress thanked anne dee
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Great job, I knew you could do it. Sometimes one just needs to try it and put aside any fear : )
    eventmistress thanked LB Interiors
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    Looks like a wonderful find!
    eventmistress thanked Sustainable Dwellings
  • joe12333
    10 years ago
    these are hepplewhite chairs, and they are beautiful! Hepplewhite chairs usually have a shield shaped back, while chippendale may be more squared off at the top. The back splat is also usually more graceful and delicate on hepplewhite chairs than on the often richly carved chippendale chairs
  • joe12333
    10 years ago
    Also, Chippendale usually will have cabriole legs ending in a ball and claw, while the shield-backed Hepplewhite will have straighter legs.
  • gbeana
    10 years ago
    You did a great job! Here is one of my Hepplewhites. I am re-doing mine as well. It also had the horsehair and about 4 more layers of thin batting. Mine are a drop in type seat. I was going to use a 1" high density foam and a 1" Dacron type of batting. My question is..did you cut you foam and batting the exact size of the seat or a little bigger? If I go alibi tale bigger, I'm afraid with the fabric, it won't fit back in. If I cut exactly the same size, will I see where the foam and batting end on the edges?
  • eventmistress
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Sorry for the delayed response. I cut the foam the size of the seat and then had a layer of thin batting that wrapped around so I could have soft edges on the seats.
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.