npost123

Patio/decking design for garden after quirky kitchen refurb

npost123
6 years ago

Hello please help resolve a disagreement my partner and I are having regarding our garden!

We've just completed work on our kitchen/diner. Simple knock through which included turning a storm porch into a small 'corner box' as part of the kitchen. We now have two sets of doors - existing patios (to the right) and new bifolds, as well as the original steps where the storm porch door was situated.

How would you design decking/patio to flow seamlessly into the garden?

We would like to extend decking/patio out as far as the 'corner box' but are in two minds whether to:

1) Add steps running along the width of this (hand rail added to the right)

or

2) Add steps to the right of this (hand rail added across the width).

My partner is not keen to have steps running across the width of the patio/decking because it cuts off space from one section (in front of the corner box) to the other (the existing patio space). Plus this would also mean potentially losing more of the garden. I'm not keen on having hand rails running across the width!

The reason why we can't raise the entire patio to the same height is that we have quite a drop into the garden. Additionally we would lose a lot of privacy due the height (our adjoining neighbour's garden will be much lower plus we also back onto a public footpath).

I've attached a before pic and and after pic. Thank you in advance.

Comments (7)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.