francoise_rb

Difference between a Juvenile and Adult Ficus Lyrata

francoise bencke
6 years ago

Sorry to ask this question, but I have 2 lyratas which are between 40 and 44 inches. They were sold to me as Juvenile. I love them and want to do the right thing for them. They are in a stem shape at the moment.

At some point I would like them to branch but I do not want the trunk to be thin. If I branch them, the trunk will need to thicken in order to carry the weight and also they will look better.

My garden centre told me that the lyratas with a thick trunk have been pruned when they were adult which reflects the price of the plant.

When do you consider a Lyrata to be adult? When the trunk is very thick and the plant very hight?

I have seen some very tall Lyrata with very thin trunck and no branch. I am confused.

I am happy to be patient with my plants. I also do not want to take the leaves off the trunk as they bring food to the trunk and will help the plant to grow.

I am aware that my question is might seem dumb but I would like to have clarification. I would really appreciate the view of a Ficus Lyrata expert.

Thanks in advance.

F

Comment (1)

• stephaniedan
    2 years ago

The stem will thicken up as they grow heavier and need more support.
    Many also shake the plant to mimic wind which causes the stem to thicken.
    Once you prune and branches get larger the stem will thicken naturally.

I believe their terminology is rather arbitrary and doesnt really make a difference.

The best way to help your plant will be to get it into a good, fast draining and airy soil medium and proper watering and fertilisation, for this you will benefit greatly by reading posts written by Al (tapla)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.