toria_jamieson

Tiles, splashback, or another solution to tiling under a sloping sill?

Toria J
6 years ago

I'm having a kitchenette installed, and am now trying to decide what to do tile-wise.

Unfortunately, the area of wall to cover above the sink is an awkward size - the gap is 13cm high on one side, and 14cm on the other, due to a sloping windowsill. There is also a narrow vertical channel of 11.5cm on the right side, between the window and the larder unit.

The windows are teak mahogany and can't be changed.

toria kitchen · More Info

There is a strip of mahogany (resting on the worktop in this pic) which fits under the window, but this is optional. Using it cuts the gap to 7cm/8cm, so may emphasise the sloping sill.

An upstand is of similar depth.

I was going to buy the Bisel Blue Mist tile shown in the middle of the pic above, but it's 10cm high and the second row of tiles would look odd and be difficult to cut at an angle on the bevel.

I'm also not sure how far up the wall (right side) to tile.

I've been considering an acrylic splashback, but I'd also need a stainless steel one for the cooking area, and this puts the cost up considerably.

Other side:

Tiles need to be DIY-ably thin, and I've been warned away from large ones as there's a couple of sockets to fit them around. I've found some 15cmx15cm tiles which may work, but they seem to be considered old-fashioned nowadays.

(The panelling will be painted light blue/navy and fitted to the walls around and above the kitchen. The worktops/carcasses are oak laminate, the doors dark grey oak.)

Any ideas/solutions are gratefully appreciated, thanks.

Comments (18)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.