gilstaylor

Can I add an overhang to my island to create a sitting area?

Gillian
6 years ago

Hello!

I have a much loved island unit (dimensions are about 2m x 1 m) and as I'm about to replace the worktop surface (from black granite to quartz), I wondered if I should extend the quartz on one of the shorter ends (by 12 inches) to create a small seating area (for 2 people). I can't extend on either of the long sides as they back onto the sink of one side, and the oven on the other. The end that I am considering adding the seating area would allow 2 people to have a view into the kitchen and living room and its also the brightest area in the kitchen as its in front of the only source of light - the patio doors. The issue is that this end of the island has a drawer and 2 cupboards on it! Accessing the cupboards wouldn't be too much of an issue as I don't use them and could easily push aside the stools but I would loose access to the drawer - and it would probably look weird too. Do you know if there is a way to alter the drawer to enable it to pull out further? Can you buy drawer extenders? Or should I just forget the idea of getting the seating area. Thank you so much!

Comments (12)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.