menageriefun

To Clad or Not to Clad

menageriefun
6 years ago
We are having a single storey extension across the whole back of the house. The interior will be much more modern than the rest of the decor in the house with an industrial feel to it. We definitely want anthracite bifolds and window, but can’t decide whether to clad the exterior of the extension to show a contrast to the existing Cotswold stone house or just go with matching Cotswold stone, though if we do this I may go white on the exterior glazing and the anthracite on the inside. We are planning on staying here for the next 14 years at least, so we are focused on doing what we love, rather than focusing on what may be a fad (anthracite windows). There’s a local village school that has a modern extension in pale grey cladding and dark grey windows and it looks great against the traditional Cotswold stone older part of the school. We are looking at Hardie Plank and Marley Cedral as I want something low maintenance. We used an Architectural Technician to keep costs down as it’s a fairly bog standard,run of the mill extension & he doesn’t have the software to give us a visual of each option. What are your thoughts/advice regarding cladding or not cladding. If we do clad, should we go for the cement fibre cladding or cedar cladding (needs to be low maintenance!) I’ve attached pics of the plans and a photo of the front of the house (back currently has a fugly conservatory that’s full to the rafters whilst we build a new, bigger shed!) and a bad photo of the school extension.

Comments (32)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.