elm87

Can we fit a downstairs bathroom on this floorplan?

Emma
6 years ago
last modified: 2 months ago

Hello everyone, I've lurked here for a while and noticed that some of you like to problem solve floorplans (and are good at it!), so before I contact an architect... any ideas for the following dilemma?

We ideally would like to put a downstairs bathroom (shower, toilet and sink) in our house and can think of three options:

1) Steal space from the study. One of our neighbours has done this to get a downstairs WC.

+ Probably the cheapest option.

- Not an ideal solution for us as we'd like to future proof and keep that space so it serves as a multi purpose room depending on our changing needs eg. study/snug/playroom/spare room.

2) Somehow replace the staircase and make better use of the hall space.

+ We need to do something with the stairs, they feel like a bit of a deathtrap.

- It's not a massive entrance, so I quite like the open feeling it currently has.

3) Knock down the porch and build a side extension. It could extend both sides of the current porch.

+Maybe it would give us an actual front door too, instead of the side one we currently have.

-Space is TIGHT. Current porch is 1.02mx2.36m external measurements, and there's only 1.8m between the side of our house and the border with the neighbour. We'd also like to keep the side access to the back garden for the bins.

Things you might need to know:

- the only bathroom (ie. plumbing) is above the kitchen and the soil pipe runs down the back garden wall.

- there is a drain cover in the back garden in line with the path, so we think that the drains run along that side of the house.

- the garden wall can be moved.

- we only knocked through the kitchen last year to make an open plan living/dining/kitchen, so can't afford to change anything there. Although that's a dilemma in itself... We made some decisions there I now regret (no dishwasher, no radiator, washer/dryer integrated so have to pause to watch tv)

Thanks in advance!

Comments (11)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.