sarah_mcardle6482

Help with Kitchen & Living room Lighting Plans

Skelpie 5
6 years ago

Hello all!

So I seem to crop up in here seeking advice on an annual basis on how best to plan the layout for knocking through our kitchen... finally after about 4 years talk, we've agreed the action!

We've shaken things up a bit and instead of filling in doors, or knocking through, we're totally changing the layout - shifting the kitchen into what is currently the living room, the dining area into the living room, and a family room into the dining room. We have the kitchen agreed and I'm now just trying to work out our lighting plans for the room, as (in typically 1960's style) they have one central pendant per room!

I don't want to get this wrong, so I'd LOVE your advice!

Firstly, here is the layout of the new kitchen:

*The window wall on the right is west facing - great light in the afternoons.

*The sink corner we have been debating putting a sun pipe in too.

*We have a Philips Hue system so would like all our new kitchen lighting to be able to hook up to it.

At the moment, all I'm sure of is that I'd like 3 dimmable pendants over the dining table, plus some LED spots, and LED strips under our 'levitating' worktop and wall lockers. There will be a bulkhead over the hob for the extractor so I've noted a couple of LED's there, one (or 2) near the larders and one in the work area.

Secondly, if you go through the 'arch' in the top of the drawing above you come to the new lounge area (this is the family area - we have a more formal lounge elsewhere):

All I've decided I'd like in this area is mains LED lighting in the built in shelving we're having created in the partition wall on the right. I considered a pendant over the couch, but I have no idea! There will likely be some lighting within the TV wall. Again the window is west facing.

Can you guys help me move the lighting in these two rooms into the 21st Century? What lighting would you put and where? I genuinely have no idea where to start!

THANKS in advance. :)

Comments (7)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.