Small Kitchen Extension - Should we hire an architect?

Bayly Weeks
23 March, 2018


We're looking to have a single storey kitchen extension on our terraced Victorian house and are already in a rut!

We pretty much know what we want in terms of layout but we're unsure of whether we should hire an architect or if there is anyone else we could use to help draw plans? I think we're looking to get to a place where we have something to tender, but as our project is fairly small (and we have a good idea of layout) we're not sure whether hiring an architect is cost effective.

Any suggestions would be welcome!

Comments (4)

  • PRO
    A technician might be able to undertake a simple extension set of plans - will probably need a SE to do the calcs for the steels. Some builders have a contact who will supply drawings.
    The type we do might be enough to get the general costs together at tender - but I would imagine most builders would prefer to see a proper set of plans - not just our ‘pretty’ ones, to know that you are serious. It’s a chicken and egg situation isn’t it !
  • Sam Potter
    I used a technician recommended by a builder (who didn't end up taking the job, but the new builder, electrician, plumber etc all needed to see the plans to quote ) plus structural engineer recommended by a pal. Total cost was £500 for plans plus £300 for engineer. I think the plans were too expensive. I didn't need them for upstairs but hindsight is a wonderful thing.
  • PRO

    Architects aren’t only useful in terms of drawings. You may know what layout you want but what does this mean in terms of planning? Could you get it within your permitted development rights? Will you need planning permission? Hiring an architect gives you a professional able to answer all these questions. Not only that, any potential planning will be covered by the architect. Saving you time and money (planning permission appeals can get costly, very quickly). They'll also be able to assess your space and recommend how to get the most out of it - meaning you get the most for your money.

    They’ll also be able to advise on what other professionals / next steps you might need to look into, and put you in touch with the best ones, such as structural engineers and party wall surveyors. Without these, you may be looking at huge expenses in the future, if you’re project isn’t managed correctly.

    If you’re worried about unreasonable architecture fees, you might consider our services. We offer one transparent fee after giving you a free consultation. You can also get an idea of what the industry in general charges with this blog:

  • PRO
    Active Builders London ltd

    if it doesn't fall within permitted development and require structural work , then I'd definitely say yes.

Need help with a Houzz order? Call us on 0808 164 9310 (8am - 5pm GMT excluding weekends)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience using cookies

By continuing to browse this site or use this app, I agree the Houzz group may use cookies and similar technologies to improve its products and services, serve me relevant content and to personalise my experience. Learn more.