greenwayassociates

Thatched Country Home Project

Last summer Greenway Associates had undertaken a home renovation to a stunning Thatched country cottage in Surrey, situated right on the boundary of a picturesque Dandelion spruced open field in Epsom.

The home is host to Three bedrooms a study and bathroom in the eaves.

The young family had purchased there ideal home and thought about its renovation and expansion to accommodate the needs of there growing family.

The family cherished the homes antiquity, yet their modern existence had been discordant with values in the vernacular styling of the Cottage. Despite sharing parallels in the vision which had once been Quintessential for the 17th century farmer no longer was this suitable for the modern family. Together Greenway associates and the family designed areas needed for renovation and gained an understanding of the spaces past uses, exploring what modern arrangement worked best whilst identifying key components of character to be retained.

Sims Cottage · More Info

The kitchen area had been subject to several design concerns. A lack of light, mobility and vision created a dimly lit room, emphasised by the quantity and irregularity in the furnishings.

Sims Cottage · More Info

The staircase had been a key feature in the space yet its insulation and carpeting hid its natural timber carpentry.

Sims Cottage · More Info

Like many of the rooms in the home, characteristics of its age, Timber beams, Inglenooks, wattle and daub construction were elements that gave the home a handcrafted and natural appearance.

Bathrooms had been colour schemed with new faucets. Old radiators in the home had been salvaged with slight design changes made for bathroom fixture.

Comments (2)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.