karen_lumsden

Extending and can't match bricks.. shall we render the whole lot!??

Karen Lumsden
6 years ago

Hi, after 12 months of toil with the council we now have our planning permission yay! With no available brick that matches our existing build, we're considering rendering the whole lot to give a real face-lift to the place and bring a more contemporary look, whilst hopefully still in-keeping with the green space around us.

Any advice please?? We are thinking a warm cream colour.. What will it look like? Will we regret it? Will it look okay with our oak frames (some wood, some UVPC) windows and oak UVPC conservatory.? Most rendered properties we've looked at have white UVPC.

Any other advice particularly appreciated fro anything else too ! We plan to..

- extend the garage a few metres left creating a 2 storey space, games/ cinema/entertaining room downstairs with multiple beds upstairs for teenage sleep-overs.

- remove the garage door at the front, replace with some windows and replace windows doors to the rear with bi-fold doors.

- remove the external staircase and fit an internal staircase, replace the external door with a wondow

- the extension will extend in single story to provide a storage/ summer room and a gym. replacing the current wooden summerhouse. (we're hoping this won't look odd as a single story extension, the council insisted on s/s here as quite close to the neighbours).

- build a porch/ new entrance to the house with a more contemporary looking front door.

We have a problem with bricks unavailable to mach in, so are considering our options.. and any other advice for our project welcomed!

Thank you.

Comments (24)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.