simone_hutchinson

Small sitting-dining room & odd furniture. Advice needed.

Me and my partner just bought our first home together. It's a 1930s ground floor flat with a private back garden. Because my partner and I each need a study for work purposes, we have had to make the dining room our sitting room, too. (The lounge, at the front of the flat, is my partner's workroom, while I have a study that's off the dining room.) The kitchen is a tiny kitchenette, so can't fit any seating. Working out how to maximise the small space of the dining room is challenged further by having old fashioned furniture. The sofa is new, just in art deco style. The oak dining suite is 1950s Old Charm (inherited). The teak buffet is just something I bought secondhand years ago. The coffee table and bookcase, ditto. I plan to strip the dining suite and refinish in natural oak, and reupholster the chairs in a bright, modern fabric. However, I could change the buffet, coffee table and bookcase. The patio doors open onto good outdoor dining space. But, living in Scotland, the weather is too wet most of the time! I'd love some advice on how to make this room work as an entertaining and TV space. (Our smart LED TV is currently being used as 2nd work monitor in my study.)

Comments (18)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.