tammy_canavan_soldaat

Rug and Coffee Table Help

Tammy
5 years ago

Hello everyone! I wasn't sure what the etiquette was in regards to follow up posts, but I posted here almost a year ago asking for advice after moving into a furnished rental home in France with a lot of wood and beige that I was trying to work around. You can see it here:

https://www.houzz.co.uk/discussions/how-can-i-bring-this-living-room-to-life-dsvw-vd~4618340?n=40

We've been in our rental house for a while and have purchased some of our own furniture and received some things from back in the Netherlands. We've both been quite busy and also weren't sure we were going to stay in this house beyond 1 year, but now we know we will, so I'm going to invest a little more in getting it how we want it (with furniture and accessories, no painting).

In the end we went with the Ikea Kivik sofa with chaise, but the chaise was *AWFUL* so we exchanged it for a 3 seater and footstool. We are still using the owners coffee table but I purchased an armchair and put up some artwork and new thermal curtains (as we have only the wood stove and electric heat, so we try to insulate as well as possible).

ANYWAY, I'm in the market for a rug for the livingroom and a coffee table. I feel like everything is really square, so would a round coffee table be a good idea? Also, I'd like some colour in the rug as this place is still quite beige, but whenever I look at a printed rug I feel like it goes weird with the chair. I'd like to steer away from beige if possible. :)

Here are some photos. One is a compilation of the furniture and showing the curtain, wood and wall colours, which I left space in case any feel kind enough to add some rug and table ideas. The tiles on the floor (as you see from the previous thread, are beige) and and the Icarus painting was a gift. We placed it before we bought the chair but now I'm wondering if we should raise it? There is a lot on the walls here in the house, either doors opening onto the walls or light fixtures so this is one of the only places it will fit. Also showing a photo from where I am sat right now to give a better idea of the space where the coffee table will go.

Any advice on rugs colours and types of print that would not clash with that chair would be appreciated, or if I should just avoid prints all together. Here is an example of a website I was looking at but I'm open to wherever I can buy / order from in France: https://www.carpetvista.com/

Also size, shape and colour advice on the coffee table as I'm still not loving this tiled monstrosity table a whole lot and I feel like we have a lot of brown wood going on in here that I'd like to break up.

Thanks so much in advance for any advice! :)

Comments (28)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.