How to Participate in the Advice Section – Houzz Rules
Dear Houzz Community – Welcome to the Advice Section!
The Houzz forum is a friendly community for those who want to connect and engage with other Houzz users. Houzzers use the forum to share tips and advice, solve design dilemmas, discuss ideas, and to engage in general chatter.
The forum is a vibrant place, with lots of opinions flying around so it’s important that all users adhere to the following guidelines, to ensure that the forum is a positive, supportive and welcoming place.
Respect the community
Everyone’s entitled to their own opinion, however, that doesn’t mean you can say anything you want.
- Respect each other’s differences, be open-minded and don’t be judgemental
- If you’re of a different opinion than other Houzz users, be constructive and helpful, not confrontational
- Comments that are discriminatory, offensive and threatening will be removed from the forum. Users are encouraged to report inappropriate comments and posts by clicking on the grey flag in the upper right corner of a post/discussion (only available for Houzz website version, not the app)
Chatting to someone online should be just like having a conversation in real life. A good rule of thumb is not to post anything that you wouldn’t say to someone’s face.
- Think twice before you post as it’s easy to misunderstand things online. Ask yourself if other users will understand your point, or if you can explain yourself better
- Don’t use ALL CAPS (it looks like you’re shouting) or abbreviations that not everyone might understand. This can alienate users
- If someone has helped you, thank them! A little 'thank you' goes a long way
Don’t share personal details
Be wary of sharing private information, such as:
- Your contact details
- Financial information publicly
- Respect other users’ request for privacy
Don’t advertise and don’t spam
Posts that include information for commercial and self-promotional purposes don’t add any value to the forum and its users.
- Self-promotional content tends to be a one-way conversation and will clutter up the forum as these types of posts generally receive little or no interaction
- Advertisements for sales, deals, offers and irrelevant links to external websites, including personal blogs, should be reported and flagged (only available for Houzz website version, not the app)
The Houzz forum is moderated by its users, however, if you see something in the forum which you feel isn’t quite right, you can always alert the Houzz Support team.