ambirchall1985

How do sash windows work?

AMB
6 years ago
I'm planning to replace some very old uPVC windows with wooden sash windows in a Victorian property I'm buying but I've never actually had sash windows so I would like some advice before I get the sales people round to bamboozle me...

The windows will be double glazed and one will be a bathroom which is already suffering from condensation mould so I would like to know if I can get windows that 'latch' (locked slightly open to let in air) open like casement windows - is that possible?

Can sash windows be fitted with trickle vents without spoiling their appearance?

Can a sash window open from the top and the bottom, or do you have to choose which way you prefer?

Does anyone have any experience with costs? I want to replace three single windows and two bays - each bay has three windows.

Many thanks!

Comments (11)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.