rhianhiles

what colour would you paint this fireplace?

Ree H
6 years ago
I’m not quite happy with this family dining space. I feel the strong white walls are too white, but Work for the rest of the (modern) room. I definitely want rid of the pine surround, and happy to paint mirror- what would you do with the walls/surround/mirror colour wise?
My favourite colours are in the table cloth

Comments (32)

• Sonia
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

As always Carolina has said it all! I agree the dining area is somewhat cluttered and a complete contrast to the kitchen. A friend has recently painted her fireplace in F & B Bone and it looks fab. I would also paint the walls in bone or some kind of duck egg, to match the table cloth? Or must it stay white to match the rest? Even painting the fireplace white will immediately give it a lift. It will be interesting to see other comments!

• A S
    6 years ago
    Leave the photos there!!
  • Carolina
    6 years ago

Glimpses... · More Info

Lol, or leave the photos there :-) It's your home. You can do whatever you want.

I just came across this photo. I don't know if a colour like that will go with the fireplace tiles, but how lovely is this? You might have a problem with the transition (where to stop painting) to the addition if you'd paint all the walls? But you could paint the entire fireplace wall.

• Carolina
    6 years ago

I just think that there are nicer ways to display photos that you love to have around you.

For example:

• minnie101
    6 years ago

Is that french grey on the dresser and the wall reflected in the mirror? I might go for that on the whole wall and a dark "grey" on the surround although I also like everything done in 1 colour. It also picks up the colour in the art over the sofa. Personally I'd paint the wood parts of the dresser and maybe change the curved piece at the top to straight. Similar chair to Carolina if it's in budget to change them to pick up the dark accents in the living area. I'd also swap the clock for art hung lower over the bureau and also agree (!) try the mirror the other way. Maybe bring in some of the yellow for flowers on the table

• Ree H
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thankyou so much for helping me find my way out of this!! I love our (architect designed) extension - see the Kitchen pic! But obvos struggling with the transition.

Plan:
    1. Mid green fireplace wall/ surround/mirror & rotate mirror
    2. Rest of room ammonite perhaps, as I can’t stand the strong white against the white woodwork (!)
    3. Paint green dresser ammonite (?)
    4. declutter (those pics are mostly Thankyou caRds etc, perhaps do something funky with a cork board above the dresser) so... loose the clock...
    5. Am attached to the writing bureau, it’s a family heirloom, might keep it there for now till I can get in elsewhere...
    6. New chairs

I’ll attach a pic of my lounge alcoves - can’t have it too similar ??

Give me a couple of months....
  • Juliet Docherty
    6 years ago

A beautiful green is a new one by Zoffany called Hessian Green. Really warm and quite saturated.

• Ree H
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Ps thanks Minnie - it’s just a shawdow I think on the white kitchen cabinets , and the dresser came from gumtree like that! It’s a safe green colour. More than happy to paint it!!
  • Ree H
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Calke green f and b? Worried about the Zoffany being too yellow?
  • Ree H
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Looking better already. Soon to go green!!
  • Carolina
    6 years ago
    Oh wow. Big difference already.
    Will you paint the mirror frame too? Or maybe when the wall is green it’ll look okay
  • Ree H
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks Carolina. I no great fan of the mirror I’d like to paint it!! Loved you pic of the all green chimney breast :)
  • Hazel Kindley
    6 years ago

Oh Ree that kitchen is beautiful! Can I be dead cheeky and ask where your cabinets are from? They are exactly what I am after in my own renovation. Really good to see the warm cabinets over the whitened wood floor, as this is something we were worrying about whether it would work or not. Thank you for sharing :)

• Ree H
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Hazel we used a small kitchen company in Bristol called fifteen twelve. The doors were made bespoke - we used ‘steamed beech’ from Latham’s timber merchants x
  • Hazel Kindley
    6 years ago

Thank you! Wouldn't have pegged that as beech, we have been looking at oak, but struggling to find slab doors that aren't just laminate. Will investigate!

• Ree H
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I’m no expert- but I bet any good carpenter could source and make relatively cheaply the doors? We had a few quotes from carpenters that did kitchens and very competitive x
  • Ree H
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    So gone green, ditched the clock, and some clutter, still sourcing the chairs ... thoughts?
  • Carolina
    5 years ago

I love it! Do you like it?

• Carolina
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I think I'd be tempted to do the rest of the wall too. It's a gorgeous colour.

But now the dresser blends in so nicely with the wall. Hmm... I do like that too. Anyway, chimney breast and everything in that colour, it's gorgeous!

• Carolina
    5 years ago

Just for fun: before & after

• Hazel Kindley
    5 years ago
    that looks amazing! great colour choice
  • Ree H
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks! Yes I’m really pleased. Am reluctant to do the whole wall as it will look like my lounge too much ! (And I’m running out of steam!) So far it’s cost me £16 in dulux trade paint as I colour matched farrow and ball, and the dresser paint I had in. So now for the chairs- Carolina where are those eames style ones you suggested from May I ask? :)
  • Carolina
    5 years ago
    I probably just plucked an image from the web, but try cult furniture or amazon
  • Carolina
    5 years ago
    I do like Minnie’s suggestion of the Bertoia chair, and they have that one too https://www.stonebutterfly.co.uk/harry-bertoia-chair-wire-all-black-powder-coat-contemporary-stylish-home-living
  • Carolina
    5 years ago

sorry, on the app, can’t amend posts, but cultfurniture has the metal framed Eames one, I’m pretty sure. I’m in the Netherlands, so I keep getting their Dutch website, sigh. Best try it yourself.

• E D
    5 years ago

Really like the chimney breast and fireplace etc. all in green!

I feel it successfully maintains, indeed improves the traditional and homely feel of your diner but with a contemporary twist.

Although I do like your modern kitchen a lot, I was worried you wanted to make the dining room too sleek. I'm guessing the two go together really well now?

• E D
    5 years ago

If you don't want to ditch the clock, have you tried standing it on the dresser?

Removing it from where it was has made that wall look much better though.

• E D
    5 years ago

Oh and nice selfie... :-)

• Ree H
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    So a month later and the naughty clock has snuck back (hubby asking me the time every 5 minutes!) but managed to get some more modern chairs and looks better ...
  • jbtanyderi
    5 years ago
    The dining area and the other area could be from two different houses. There’s definitely nothing modern about the dining area. Build in storage (cupboard on the bottom, shelves to the height of the picture rail) on each side of the fireplace. Change the chairs to a much simpler style. The cottage/country table cloth should be changed out for something less busy.
    If building storage isn’t possible, reduce what’s on the shelves and clear off the mantel.
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.