marieearl77

Planning permission now submitted, what do we do now? Renovation

Ellie
6 years ago

We have only just put in our planning application (UK) and expect it to take around 8 weeks for approval. It is a renovation - removal of a few walls separating kitchen and dining room, installation of sliding doors and 3 velux, and block up old doorway into kitchen and addition of a new doorway in.

We have not looked a builder yet, so I believe now is the time to get a few quotes and then perhaps come to an agreed time when the work will get done. We show builders our drawn up plans and ask for quotes. Should we be asking for rough quotes. Or are we looking for detailed quotes at this stage? We certainly dont have a detailed list of every single little thing that will be involved in the kitchen renovation.

We will be getting a new kitchen and sliding doors. At what point should we actually start looking at these? I have an ideasbook on here so do have an idea of what style I am looking at. Have also a rough plan of the space with the appliances/units planned out. We havent gone into any kitchen stores as we know it will be at least 2 months til we get the planning permission and be lucky if we can get a builder to do it by the end of the year.

Do we get builders that will do everything, or just the build? Do we get separate kitchen fitted and door installer?

When to order the kitchen and doors? I guess that will come down to when our selected builder agrees to do the work eg if they say 'october' then perhaps we order kitchen/doors 6 weeks ahead of then (assuming they take 6 weeks to make/deliver)

Any help at all is welcome!

Comments (8)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.